In his debut with New York following Tuesday's trade from San Diego, #VFL Chase Headley delivered a game-winning single to left field in the 14th inning, lifting the Yankees to a 2-1 victory over Texas at Yankee Stadium.
Headley arrived in the Yankees dugout straight from the airport on Tuesday evening, entering the game as a pinch-hitter in the ninth. He was hitless in his first three at-bats, but made an immediate impact on the field with a leaping grab at third.
Headley later told MLB.com: "There's a lot of nerves there, but I kind of stepped out of the box and I thought to myself, 'Why not? Why wouldn't this day go this way?' I was able to enjoy it."
Tuesday's matchup with the Rangers also produced another moment for #VFL J.P. Arencibia, who smashed a game-tying home run in the 13th frame against New York. He went 1-for-6 on the night as the Rangers' starting first baseman, marking his fifth game since being called up on July 18.
Check out the rest of the media coverage on Headley and his walkoff debut here, along with Arencibia's homer:
- Yankees.com: Newcomer Headley Yank's walk-off hero in 14th
- Rangers.com: Victory elusive as Rangers fall to Yanks in 14
- USA Today: Yankees' Headley wins it in 14th inning of debut
- New York Daily News: Chase Headley drives in winning run in debut as Yankees walk off with win over Rangers
- CBSSports.com: VIDEO: Chase Headley hits walk-off single in first game with Yankees
- YES Network: Headley shines in debut with walk-off hit in 14th