Recently in Men's basketball Category
Celebrating birthdays on July 30 are current Vols Marques Pair of the football team and Ryan McFall of the swimming & diving squad.
Former men's basketball player Rob Jones, who ranks fourth all-time in games played (130), and former Lady Vol hoops and current Seattle Storm star Shekinna Stricklen also celebrate birthdays today.
On July 15, we wish a very Happy Birthday to former Vol hoops star and current Orlando Magic forward Tobias Harris. After earning All-American status his freshman campaign (2010-11), Harris became Tennessee's eighth all-time first-round NBA draft pick when he was selected 19th overall in 2011.
On July 15, we wish Happy Birthday to former Vols star and current Milwaukee Bucks forward Tobias Harris. Harris is playing for the Bucks NBA Summer League team and is featured in this video on leadership:Summer Leadership. Also, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has this story on Harris: Tough rookie year behind Bucks forward Harris. Milwaukee plays its first Summer League game on Monday vs. New Orleans.
A day after being drafted by his hometown team, the Memphis Grizzlies, Jarnell Stokes met with the media about living out his lifelong dream of playing with the Grizz. Here's a look at the coverage on Stokes and fellow draft pick Jordan McRae, who was headed to Philadelphia on Friday.
McRae will meet with the Philadelphia media on Saturday at 11 a.m. The presser will be streamed live on Sixers.com.
- Grizzlies.com: Grizzlies Press Conference
- Chattanooga Times Free Press: Stokes with Grizzlies, McRae with 76ers after NBA draft trades
- Knoxville News Sentinel: McRae and Stokes: Selected in 2014 NBA draft
- Memphis Commercial Appeal: For Grizzlies fans, Jarnell Stokes move brings draft into the bonus
- Memphis Commercial Appeal: Z-Bo's new deal, Stokes' arrival highlight 'great day' for Grizzlies
- Memphis Business Journal: Grizz rookies ready to work, but hold the chips (Video)
- Volunteer TV: Stokes talks following NBA Draft
On the way to Philly ✈️✈️-- Jordan McRae (@JordyMac52) June 27, 2014
Check out this tremendous feature on Tennessee's two head coaches from the state of Michigan, Butch Jones and Donnie Tyndall. MLive writer Peter J. Wallner takes a look at their separate but similar paths to Rocky Top.
The story includes some classic photos of Jones and Tyndall as youngsters.
Tennessee head coach Donnie Tyndall and several members of the Vols spoke with the media on Wednesday. Check out the stories that followed:
- UTSports.com: Vol Hoops Media Session (6-18-14)
- Associated Press: Tyndall has no time to rest this summer
- Chattanooga Times Free Press: Willie Carmichael growing into role at UT
- Knoxville News Sentinel: Donnie Tyndall getting feel for Vols, but still seeking another one
- Knoxville News Sentinel: Donnie Tyndall's Vols defend their Rocky Top League defense
- Sports Central: The Most Interesting Year One Coaches
- UT Daily Beacon: Rawane "Pops" Ndiaje out for season
A busy day for birthdays in the Tennessee Athletics family on June 14.
Celebrating today is the women's basketball legend Pat Summitt.
Men's basketball head coach Donnie Tyndall and women's volleyball head coach Rob Patrick are also celebrating their birthday today.
We also send happy birthday wishes to rising junior thrower Cassie Wertman, rising sophomore tennis player Sean Karl and rising senior tennis player Andrew Dromsky.
Also celebrating is former Vols football lineman Anthony Herrera, who played for the Minnesota Vikings from 2004-11.
Get the latest on the men's basketball right here in the Tennessee Update.
- In the Knoxville News Sentinel, Mike Strange has a wonderful feature on VFL Reggie Johnson, who bridged the gap between Bernard King and Dale Ellis: Reggie Johnson was quite a bridge between King and Ellis.
- Also in the Knoxville News Sentinel, check out a story on the Rocky Top League, which includes many current and former Vols: UT newcomers will have chance to make their names known in Rocky Top League.
- Also, Donnie Tyndall talked about the Rocky Top League: VIDEO
- The Maryville Daily Times had this story on the Rocky Top League: UT coach says Hubbs will miss Rocky Top League
- The Tennessean and Chattanooga Times Free Press have these stories on the Vols season-opener:
- The Daily Beacon takes a look at the Vols' summer camps: Summer basketball camps allows team to give back