The Thornton Athletics Student Life Center is a state-of-the-art, 33,000 sq/ft facility that houses academic counseling and career development services for student-athletes.
What's on this page?
Thornton Center Information
1801 Volunteer Boulevard
Knoxville, TN, 37996
With 18 full-time staff members, the Thornton Athletics Student Life Center offers academic counseling services, a career development program, a student development program, a comprehensive tutoring program, a writing lab, a math lab, a computer lab, and accommodations for students with special needs.
Among some of the services provided are:Champs/Life Skills
- Provides student-athletes with resources for future work
- Workshops on personal development issues, resume building, and interviewing
- Opportunities for community service
- Annual career fair
Student-athletes at Tennessee receive top-flight academic support through the Thornton Athletics Student Life Center.
- Provides a quiet, equipped, and supportive environment for student learning
- Objective-Based Study Hall is a program for at-risk student-athletes
- Mentors assist students in organizational and study skills
- Designed to provide students with a structured and supervised study environment conducive to learning
- Free tutoring is available in nearly any subject
- Writing Lab staff work with student-athletes at all stages of the writing process and for any discipline
- Staffed by tutors who have taught writing and literature courses
- Provides individual assistance and group study sessions related to math
- Four components: curriculum, research incentives and peer mentoring.
- Program dealing with issues that student-athletes need to be aware of in order to be successful during their first year and beyond
- Comprehensive academic support program in conjunction with Office of Disability Services
- Assists male and female student athletes with disabilities (physical, psychological, and learning).
- The University of Tennessee Athletics Departments actively recruit student-athletes from diverse backgrounds, including students from foreign countries.
- Our international ranks represent 6 continents and 17 countries.
- The RAC Program assist former student-athletes achieve their goal of graduation from the University of Tennessee.