Tennessee Athletics conducted a thorough review of academic performance for the recently completed Spring 2017 semester, and it revealed yet another outstanding effort by UT student-athletes.
Spring 2017 marked the ninth consecutive semester (and sixth consecutive spring) in which Tennessee’s student-athletes combined to post a GPA of 3.00 or higher. Their combined GPA of 3.05 was the second-highest spring GPA since Tennessee began tracking that data—trailing only last spring’s 3.06 GPA.
Nearly 60 percent of UT’s student-athletes -- a school-record 269 -- earned a spring GPA of 3.00 or higher. Tennessee tied its all-time spring semester record with 128 student-athletes who were recognized on their respective college’s Dean’s List.
A dozen Tennessee teams earned average GPAs of 3.00 or higher. Those programs were women’s golf, women’s swimming & diving, soccer, softball, women’s tennis, women’s track & field, rowing, men’s golf, volleyball, men’s swimming & diving, baseball and women’s basketball. Most impressively, the women’s golf team, coached by Judi Pavon, earned a team GPA of 3.79. That stands as Tennessee’s best-ever team GPA since UT began tracking that data.
Individual student-athlete highlights from the entire 2016-17 academic year were numerous:
- Joshua Dobbs (Football) was named a University of Tennessee Torchbearer, which is the highest student honor conferred by the University of Tennessee. He was the 26th student-athlete in history to earn this prestigious honor.
- Eric Freeman (Baseball) was named the SEC Brad Davis Community Service Leader of the Year.
- Hannah Wilkinson (Soccer) was awarded an NCAA Fall Postgraduate Scholarship.
- 101 student-athletes were named to the Fall 2016 and Winter 2016-17 SEC Academic Honor Rolls.
- Sunay Bhat (Men’s Tennis), Cameron Brown (Men’s Track & Field), Eric Freeman (Baseball), Chandler Frumin (Rowing), and Megan Geer (Softball) were nominated for NCAA Spring Postgraduate Scholarships.
- Chandler Frumin (Rowing) was awarded an NCAA Ethnic Minority & Women’s Enhancement Scholarship.
- Sunay Bhat (Men’s Tennis) and Kira Toussaint (Women’s Swimming & Diving) were nominated for the SEC H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Postgraduate Scholarship.
- 28 student-athletes were recognized at the 2017 Chancellor’s Honors Banquet.
25 undergraduate student-athletes received Chancellor’s Citations for Extraordinary Academic Achievement and the Scholar Athlete Award:
- Eric Freeman, Quint Robinson, and Matt Waldren (Baseball)
- Joshua Dobbs, Charles Folger, and Parker Henry (Football)
- Lucia Polo and Jack Smith (Golf)
- Chandler Frumin (Rowing)
- Michele Christy, Cali Hutson, Kathryn Culhane, Ariel Kupritz, Emily Morrow, and Jamie Simmons (Soccer)
- Megan Geer (Softball)
- Colleen Callahan, Camryne Morris, and Kira Toussaint (Swimming & Diving)
- Sunay Bhat, Eve Repic, and Jack Schipanski (Tennis)
- Cameron Brown (Track & Field)
- Kelsey Bawcombe and Taylor Johnson (Volleyball)
Three graduate student-athletes received the Scholar Athlete Award:
15 student-athletes were named to the SEC Community Service team for their respective sports:
- Eric Freeman (Baseball)
- Jordan Reynolds and Admiral Schofield (Basketball)
- LaTroy Lewis (Football)
- Juan Carlos Serrano and Blakesly Warren (Golf)
- Cali Hutson (Soccer)
- Megan Geer (Softball)
- Matthew Dunphy and Kira Toussaint (Swimming & Diving)
- Sunay Bhat and Mercedes Hammond (Tennis)
- Cassie Wertman and Weldon Wright (Track & Field)
- Claudia Coco (Volleyball)