In order to enhance safety and expedite fan entry at Tennessee athletic events, beginning in August 2016, the University of Tennessee, Knoxville is implementing new safety policies for fans bringing bags into all athletic venues, including Neyland Stadium.
Only one clear plastic bag no larger than 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches or a one-gallon, clear, resealable plastic storage bag per person will be permitted. Fans will also be allowed a small clutch purse not to exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
The Tennessee Athletic Department has partnered with Visit Knoxville and Coca-Cola to provide all football season ticket holders with one complimentary bag per household. The bags will mailed to season ticket holders in mailer in mid-August. Additional support is courtesy of Academy Sports and Subway. Fans interested in purchasing an approved clear bag may visit the Official Team Store at Neyland Stadium, VolShop locations in the Student Union, 17th & Cumberland Avenue and University Commons; as well as other area retailers.
The Southeastern Conference anticipates implementing the new rules for the 2017 academic year, but UT has joined several other SEC universities (including Alabama, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Mississippi State, South Carolina and Texas A&M) in implementing changes for the 2016 season.
No other bags will be allowed inside athletic venues, including Neyland Stadium. All items, including clear bags and clutch purses, are subject to search at the gates.
Other prohibited items:
- Alcoholic beverages, cans, bottles and coolers
- Outside food, snacks and beverages
- Radios without headphones
- Open umbrellas
- Video cameras, professional cameras or cameras with detachable lenses
- Stadium seats with arms or pockets
- Weapons of any kind, including pocketknives
- Selfie sticks, artificial noisemakers
No items can be left or stored at the gates.
Fans can bring the following items inside athletic venues, provided they meet the size requirement:
- Cushions or seats without arms or pockets
- Small bags with medically necessary items, subject to search
- Small cameras, cell phones and binoculars
Note: Diapers and non-medically necessary items for babies and young children must be carried in a clear bag.