CAREER HONORSALL-AMERICA CERTIFICATES (3)
2016 - 2
2015 - 1
SEC MEDAL COUNT (1)
2015: 200 Fly
2016 CSCAA Scholar All-America
2016 SEC Academic Honor Roll
2015 SEC Freshman of the Week (1 time)
2015-16 - SOPHOMORE
- Earned first-team All-America honors after finishing seventh in the 400 IM, his first career NCAA championship final
- Earned honorable mention All-American honors by swimming the third leg of the 14th-place 800 freestyle relay
- Finished 19th in 200 IM and 20th in the 200 butterfly
SEC MEET RECAP
- Placed fifth in the 800 yard freestyle relay earning 50 team points along with teammates Joey Reilman, Sean Lehane, and Gustav Aberg Lejdstorm (6:24.34)
- Scored 25 team points in the 400 yard IM with a (3:44.27) final
- Placed eighth in the 200 yard IM with a final time of (1:45.71) and 22 team points
- Finished in the B-Final for the 200 yard butterfly with 13 team points (1:45.07)
2014-15 - FRESHMANNCAA RECAP
- Meet headlined by winning the consolation final of the 400 IM, placing ninth in a time of 3:41.29. It was his first All-America honor.
- Also took 29th in the 500 freestyle (4:18.70) and 31st in the 200 butterfly (1:44.62).
- Reached the A final in his three individual events in his first conference meet.
- Meet was headlined by a second-place finish in the 200 butterfly, where he finished second in an NCAA A cut time of 1:42.01.
- Also placed sixth in the 500 freestyle (4:17.05) and fourth in the 400 IM (3:40.64). His time in the finals of the 400 IM lowered his own school record. His prelim time of 4:16.91 in the 500 freestyle was a career best.
- Part of the 800 freestyle relay team that finished fourth.
DUAL MEET RECAP
- Won his first solo event in his first meet as a Vol at UNCW; his career-best 1:52.20 proved fast enough to win the 200-yard individual medley (IM).
- Earned four victories (and a second-place finish) at Queens and UNC, while also posting four new career highs
- At QU, McHugh took first in the 500-yard Freestyle (4:28.88) and the the 200-yard Butterfly (1:47.97).
- Won three more events in his first home meet against IU and UK (as well as earning three new career-best times): the 200 Fly (1:46.72), the 400-yard IM (3:52.60) and the 500 Free (4:27.26)
- Broke all six of his events' previous career-bests at Nike Cup, while earning six NCAA b-cut times
- Won the 400 IM at the Nike Cup in 3:44.63, breaking the previous UT mark
- Won the 200 Fly at the Nike Cup in 1:44.61, the third-best time in UT history
- Finished second in the 500 Free at the Nike Cup in 4:18.68, which is good for 5th all-time in UT history
- Swam the 200 Back for the first time at Texas A&M and won in 1:46.26
- While at A&M, McHugh also won the 200 IM for the third time this season in 1:48.33 and the 200 Fly (1:46.30) for the fifth time
- Won three events at LSU (200 Free, 200 Fly, 400 IM) to increase his road trip win total to six
- Picked up his seventh win in the 200 Fly at home against Georgia, swimming a career-best 1:44.30
- Earned a pair of victories at Florida, winning both the 200 Fly (1:45.04) and the 400 IM (3:47.14)
PRIOR TO TENNESSEE
- Attended Baylor School in Chattanooga and was part of the Baylor Swim Club.
- No. 1 recruit from Tennessee and has been ranked 16th nationally in the signing class by collegeswimming.com.
- Member of the the 2013 USA Swimming Junior National Team.
- At the NCSA Junior National Championships in March, he won the 200 butterfly (1:43.23) and was third in the 200 IM (1:46.64) and second in the 400 IM (3:45.81) and second in the 200 backstroke (1:42.82).
- He won both the 200 IM and 500 freestyle at the Tennessee State Championships as a senior.
- Birthday: October 12, 1995
- Recipient of the Karl Bahret Swimming Endowment Fund
- McHugh on Why Tennessee: "The training environment at Tennessee is unlike any other and with the coaches and facilities that we have, the sky is the limit."