2014 SEC Male Freshman of the Week (Nov. 4)
DUAL MEET RECAP
- Won his first solo event in his first meet as a Vol at UNCW; his career-best 1:52.20 proved fast enough to win the 200-yard individual medley (IM).
- Earned four victories (and a second-place finish) at Queens and UNC, while also posting four new career highs
- At QU, McHugh took first in the 500-yard Freestyle (4:28.88) and the the 200-yard Butterfly (1:47.97).
- Won three more events in his first home meet against IU and UK (as well as earning three new career-best times): the 200 Fly (1:46.72), the 400-yard IM (3:52.60) and the 500 Free (4:27.26)
- Broke all six of his events' previous career-bests at Nike Cup, while earning six NCAA b-cut times
- Won the 400 IM at the Nike Cup in 3:44.63, breaking the previous UT mark
- Won the 200 Fly at the Nike Cup in 1:44.61, the third-best time in UT history
- Finished second in the 500 Free at the Nike Cup in 4:18.68, which is good for 5th all-time in UT history
- Swam the 200 Back for the first time at Texas A&M and won in 1:46.26
- While at A&M, McHugh also won the 200 IM for the third time this season in 1:48.33 and the 200 Fly (1:46.30) for the fifth time
- Won three events at LSU (200 Free, 200 Fly, 400 IM) to increase his road trip win total to six
- Picked up his seventh win in the 200 Fly at home against Georgia, swimming a career-best 1:44.30
- Earned a pair of victories at Florida, winning both the 200 Fly (1:45.04) and the 400 IM (3:47.14)
- Attended Baylor School in Chattanooga and was part of the Baylor Swim Club.
- No. 1 recruit from Tennessee and has been ranked 16th nationally in the signing class by collegeswimming.com.
- Member of the the 2013 USA Swimming Junior National Team.
- At the NCSA Junior National Championships in March, he won the 200 butterfly (1:43.23) and was third in the 200 IM (1:46.64) and second in the 400 IM (3:45.81) and second in the 200 backstroke (1:42.82).
- He won both the 200 IM and 500 freestyle at the Tennessee State Championships as a senior.
- Birthday: October 12, 1995
- Recipient of the LoJac Athletic Scholarship Endowment