ALL-AMERICA CERTIFICATES (3)
2016 - 2
2015 - 1
SEC MEDAL COUNT (1)
2015: 200 Fly
2016 CollegeSwimming.com National Swimmer of the Week (1 time)
2016 SEC Swimmer of the Week (1 time)
2016 CSCAA Scholar All-America
2016 SEC Academic Honor Roll
2015 CollegeSwimming.com National Swimmer of the Week (1 time)
2015 SEC Swimmer of the Week (1 time)
2015 SEC Freshman of the Week (1 time)
2016-17 - JUNIOR
DUAL MEET RECAP
- During the fall, Earned CollegeSwimming.com National Swimmer of the Week and SEC Swimmer of the Week honors for his performances in back to back meets against Louisville and then Indiana/Kentucky. He won three events in the victory over Louisville (500 freestyle - 4:25.05, 200 butterfly - 1:46.07, and the 200 Im - 1:48.21).
- Competed in five meets for the Vols during the fall, winning 10 races and recording 14 NCAA B-cut times
- Top times during the fall included: 4:24.56 in the 500 free (Auburn), 9:05.54 in the 1000 freestyle (North Carolina), 49.13 in the 100 back (NC State GAC Invite), 1:47.04 in the 200 back (NC State GAC Invite), 1:46.07 in the 200 fly (Louisville), 1:45.07 in the 200 IM (NC State GAC Invite) and 3:42.54 in the 400 IM (NC State GAC Invite).
2015-16 - SOPHOMORE
- Earned first-team All-America honors after finishing seventh in the 400 IM, his first career NCAA championship final
- Earned honorable mention All-American honors by swimming the third leg of the 14th-place 800 freestyle relay
- Finished 19th in 200 IM and 20th in the 200 butterfly
- His 3:40.64 time in the 200 IM was a career best
SEC MEET RECAP
- Placed fifth in the 400 IM with a 3:44.27 time in the final
- Placed eighth in the 200 IM with a final time of 1:45.71 and 22 team points
- Finished in the B-Final for the 200 yard butterfly with 13 team points 1:45.07
- Placed fifth in the 800 yard freestyle relay earning 50 team points along with teammates Joey Reilman, Sean Lehane, and Gustav Aberg Lejdstorm (6:24.34)
2014-15 - FRESHMANNCAA RECAP
- Meet headlined by winning the consolation final of the 400 IM, placing ninth in a time of 3:41.29. It was his first All-America honor.
- Also took 29th in the 500 freestyle (4:18.70) and 31st in the 200 butterfly (1:44.62).
- Reached the A final in his three individual events in his first conference meet.
- Meet was headlined by a second-place finish in the 200 butterfly, where he finished second in an NCAA A cut time of 1:42.01.
- Also placed sixth in the 500 freestyle (4:17.05) and fourth in the 400 IM (3:40.64). His time in the finals of the 400 IM lowered his own school record. His prelim time of 4:16.91 in the 500 freestyle was a career best.
- Part of the 800 freestyle relay team that finished fourth.
DUAL MEET RECAP
- Won his first solo event in his first meet as a Vol at UNCW; his career-best 1:52.20 proved fast enough to win the 200-yard individual medley (IM).
- Earned four victories (and a second-place finish) at Queens and UNC, while also posting four new career highs
- At QU, McHugh took first in the 500-yard Freestyle (4:28.88) and the the 200-yard Butterfly (1:47.97).
- Won three more events in his first home meet against IU and UK (as well as earning three new career-best times): the 200 Fly (1:46.72), the 400-yard IM (3:52.60) and the 500 Free (4:27.26)
- Broke all six of his events' previous career-bests at Nike Cup, while earning six NCAA b-cut times
- Won the 400 IM at the Nike Cup in 3:44.63, breaking the previous UT mark
- Won the 200 Fly at the Nike Cup in 1:44.61, the third-best time in UT history
- Finished second in the 500 Free at the Nike Cup in 4:18.68, which is good for 5th all-time in UT history
- Swam the 200 Back for the first time at Texas A&M and won in 1:46.26
- While at A&M, McHugh also won the 200 IM for the third time this season in 1:48.33 and the 200 Fly (1:46.30) for the fifth time
- Won three events at LSU (200 Free, 200 Fly, 400 IM) to increase his road trip win total to six
- Picked up his seventh win in the 200 Fly at home against Georgia, swimming a career-best 1:44.30
- Earned a pair of victories at Florida, winning both the 200 Fly (1:45.04) and the 400 IM (3:47.14)
PRIOR TO TENNESSEE
- Attended Baylor School in Chattanooga and was part of the Baylor Swim Club.
- No. 1 recruit from Tennessee and has been ranked 16th nationally in the signing class by collegeswimming.com.
- Member of the the 2013 USA Swimming Junior National Team.
- At the NCSA Junior National Championships in March, he won the 200 butterfly (1:43.23) and was third in the 200 IM (1:46.64) and second in the 400 IM (3:45.81) and second in the 200 backstroke (1:42.82).
- He won both the 200 IM and 500 freestyle at the Tennessee State Championships as a senior.
- Birthday: October 12, 1995
- Recipient of the Karl Bahret Swimming Endowment Fund
- McHugh on Why Tennessee: "The training environment at Tennessee is unlike any other and with the coaches and facilities that we have, the sky is the limit."