BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Sunay Bhat of the Tennessee men's tennis team and Kira Toussaint of the Volunteer swimming and diving team have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Tennessee.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league's top male and female scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2017 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 27.
Highlights of Tennessee's nominees include:
Men's Tennis, Tennessee
Major: Electrical Engineering
- Three-time ITA Scholar Athlete (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Two-time member of the SEC Community Service Team (2015, 2016)
- Graduating with a degree in electrical engineering (3.91 GPA)
- Dean's List for the College of Engineering every semester in the college (2014-2016)
- Team representative on Tennessee's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee from 2015 through 2017
- Earned a spot in the lineup as a senior, earning his first two career SEC doubles wins
- Team captain from 2017 through 2017
- Member of the 2014 team that reached the final sixteen at the NCAA championships
- Doubles finalist at the Georgia Tech Fall Invitational
Women's Swimming & Diving, Tennessee
- Graduating with a GPA of 3.44 in kinesiology
- Three-time SEC relay champion
- Eight-time All-American for Tennessee
- NCAA silver medalist in the 200 freestyle relay
- Three top-eight finishes in the 100 backstroke during four-year collegiate career
- 2016 Olympian for the Netherlands (100 Backstroke)
- First Tennessee women's swimmer in program history to compete in the Olympics while still a current student-athlete
- School record holder in the 100-yard backstroke (50.85)
- Also part of the Tennessee record-setting 400 freestyle relay team (3:12.04)
- 2017 SEC Community Service Team after logging more than 50 hours of service during the year, with more than 20 hours spent giving inspirational talks to elementary schools in her hometown of Amstelveen about her Olympic experience
Each year, the SEC, in conjunction with AT&T, an SEC official sponsor, provides the league's male and female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $15,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining male and female finalists for the award will also receive a $7,500 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC institutions and are honored at the SEC Spring Meetings in Sandestin, Fla., in early June.
Last year's McWhorter Award recipients were Forrest Gamble of the Ole Miss men's golf team and Haylie McCleney of the Alabama softball team.