Jan. 31, 2013
ARMORY COLLEGIATE INVITATIONAL
Feb. 1-2, 2013 | All Day
The Armory | New York, N.Y.
- The UT track & field team will join more than 100 universities and colleges spanning both the nation and the globe at The Armory this weekend, as the Vols and Lady Vols head to New York City for the 12th edition of the Armory Collegiate Invitational.
- Many of the nation's most successful programs will take the `A' train uptown for the nation's biggest and best indoor college meet excluding the NCAA Championships. Joining the Big Orange are Arkansas, Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Oregon, Texas, BYU, Stanford, Oklahoma, Clemson, Kansas, Iowa State, Dartmouth, Connecticut and many more.
- In addition to those standout programs, colleges from Canada and France will join in on the 12th running of the event, which is contested at the New Balance Track Center inside The Armory. The facility is located in the Washington Heights neighborhood at 168th Street, between Broadway and Fort Washington Ave.
- Action is scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. ET on Friday, Feb. 1, and continue throughout the day. A full day of events is also slated for Saturday, with the women's 5K field set to toe the line at 8:30 a.m. ET. A total of 28 Vols and 23 Lady Vols will make the trip.
RETURNING INDOOR ALL-AMERICANS
LAST SEASON IN NEW YORK
- Former Lady Vol Chanelle Price reeled-off an NCAA automatic-qualifying time of 2:04.25 in the championship division of the women's 800 meters to highlight Tennessee's trip at last season's New Balance Collegiate Invitational.
- The Lady Vols also got second-place finishes from alums Brittney Sheffey in the mile (4:40.28) and Annie Alexander in the shot put (55-10.50).
- For the Vols, returnee Jamol James crossed the line in fifth place in the consolation final of the men's 60m with a then-personal-best time of 6.74 seconds.
- Then-freshman thrower Matthew Hoty landed multiple throws in the vicinity of 60 feet in the men's shot put, finishing fifth in event with an effort of 59-9.