2017 - SOPHOMORE
- Appeared in 19 games (eight starts) and posted a 3-1 record during the 2017 season for the Volunteers, throwing 41 strikeouts over 57.2 innings of work.
- Came on in relief with two outs and two runners on base in the eighth inning of Game Two vs. Mizzou, stymying a potential two-out rally for the Tigers by inducing a groundout to third base. He retired all four Tiger hitters he faced, notching one strikeout along the way.
- Threw 5.0 scoreless innings and struck out a career-high six batters in the no-decision vs. Morehead State on May 16.
- Bridged together a 3.1 middle-innings relief appearance, allowing just one run with two strikeouts against the Kentucky Wildcats on May 13.
- Got the nod on the mound for UT vs. Belmont, throwing 4.0 scoreless innings and striking out four batters in the outing (May 9).
- Entered in the third frame vs. ETSU on May 2 and dealt 5.0 innings en route to earning his third win of the year.
- With his 7.0 inning start against ETSU in the Smoky Mountain Challenge, Neely tied his career-long start (7.0 vs. LSU 5/13/16). The righty also logged five strikeouts, tying the career high he set vs. Vanderbilt on April 24, 2016.
- Entered in relief in the eighth inning of Game Two vs. Texas A&M and threw 1.0 scoreless inning, including a strikeout to strand an Aggies runner at second base.
- Allowed just one hit while striking out four of his seven batters faced over 2.0 innings of relief work in the series finale vs. Auburn (April 15).
- Pitched 3.0 scoreless innings of relief, allowing just one hit and firing two strikeouts, en route to helping UT shut out Tennessee Tech (March 28).
- Started Tennessee's Sunday series finale vs. South Carolina in SEC Opening Weekend, allowing five runs (three earned) on six hits for his first loss of the season (March 19).
- Tossed 1.0 hitless inning in his first relief appearance of the season against Cincinnati, retiring the side on just 10 pitches (March 11).
- Threw 5.1 innings in his Sunday start vs. Norfolk State on March 5, allowing three earned runs on four hits while striking out four batters to receive no decision.
- Went 2.1 innings in UT's Tony Gwynn Classic finale start vs. UC Irvine, allowing five runs on six hits for the no-decision (Feb. 25).
- Began the 2017 season as Tennessee's Sunday starter in the rotation, tossing 6.0 scoreless innings while holding Memphis to just one hit in his season debut on Feb. 19.
2016 - FRESHMAN
- Appeared in 20 games (six starts) and posted a 1-3 record during his debut season for the Volunteers, allowing 29 runs (23 earned) over 52.1 innings pitched with 29 strikeouts.
- Got the starting nod in the Volunteers' SEC Baseball Tournament debut vs. No. 5 seed LSU, holding the Tigers to just one run on five hits in 6.0 innings of work (May 24).
- Worked 3.0 innings in the Thursday series opener at Georgia on May 19, giving up four runs (three earned) on seven hits en route to the loss.
- Went a career-long 7.0 innings in UT's series opener vs. #11 LSU, allowing just one run on five hits with two strikeouts (May 13).
- Threw 6.0 innings and allowed five runs (three earned) on eight hits in his Friday start vs. #1-ranked Florida (May 6).
- Pitched 5.0 innings in his start vs. Missouri, allowing six runs on six hits and receiving his first career loss
- Notched his first career win in his first career start vs. #4 Vanderbilt, giving up just two earned runs and striking out five batters through 6.0 innings (April 24).
- Tossed 2.2 hitless innings out of the bullpen vs. MTSU and recorded a strikeout (April 19).
- Threw 2.1 innings scoreless innings in relief vs. #8 Ole Miss, allowing just one hit (March 20).
- Worked a career-long 3.0 innings in relief at UNC Asheville, allowing one run on two hits while recording three strikeouts in UT's 7-3 win.
- Tossed 1.0 scoreless frame against Western Kentucky, allowing just two hits (March 8).
- Pitched 1.2 innings of relief in the Vols' 6-3 victory over Saint Mary's (Feb. 27).
- Made his first appearance as a Vol vs. Memphis (Feb. 19), striking out three while giving up one run on three hits.
- A Knoxville native and product of Hardin Valley Academy, Neely was rated the No. 2 right-handed pitcher in the state of Tennessee by Perfect Game.
- Received All-District honors in each of his four seasons with Hardin Valley (2012-15).
- Helped Hardin Valley to a Class AAA State Baseball Championship title as a senior in 2015.
- Threw his first no-hitter of his senior season for Hardin Valley Academy and defeated Bartlett High School 2-0 in a Class AAA state baseball tournament opener.
- Named a Second Team Underclass All-American by Perfect Game as a junior.
- Played for the All-State Two Way Team from 2012-13 and was selected to Team Tennessee as a sophomore and a junior (2013-14).
- Named the District 4 AAA Most Valuable Pitcher, the right-hander was a TSWA All-State player and was selected to the East Cobb Pro Showcase in 2014.
- Full name is William Clay Neely
- Born on April 10, 1996
- Son of Jaynetta and Ken Neely
- William is one of six children
- Majoring in Sociology
- Recipient of the East Tennessee Nissan Athletic Scholarship Endowment