Blake Forsythe and Nicholas Blount
Oct. 23, 2009
By Cameron Harris, Assistant Media Relations Director
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Due to a number of minor but fall-ending injuries, the University of Tennessee baseball team's final three Orange and White World Series games will be played under a modified scoring system designed to determine the overall productivity of each player both offensively and defensively, as well as on the mound.
For instance, a hit, stolen base or hustle play will be worth one point, while an RBI or a run scored will net two. On the other end of the spectrum, a strikeout, missed sign or failed sacrifice bunt will cause a point to be taken away. The final score will be determined 75 percent by the production of the position players with the other 25 percent coming from the pitching staff.
The Orange and White teams will be split into two offensive squads each, while players from both squads will be used in a variety of defensive lineups. For first-year pitching coach Jason Beverlin's Orange team, junior Tyler Hannah, freshman Chris Fritts and junior Blake Forsythe will comprise the first offensive unit, while freshmen Drew Steckenrider and Cody Stubbs and sophomore Matt Ramsey make up the second.
The first offensive group for the White team, led by infielders coach Bradley LeCroy, will include sophomore Zach Osborne, junior Josh Liles, sophomore Charley Thurber and senior Matt Hamaker. The second unit will include juniors P.J. Polk, Khayyan Norfork and Cody Hawn, as well as sophomore Adam King.
The first Orange unit will hit until it records three outs and will be followed by the first White group. The second offensive squads from each team will then bat in the second inning. The groups will rotate for a total of eight innings.
The Orange squad currently holds a 3-0 advantage in the Volunteer's fall series over the White team. Tennessee will return to the Lindsey Nelson Stadium for the fifth and sixth games of the World Series, at Noon on Saturday, Oct. 24, and at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 25, while the final contest will take place on Friday, Oct. 30. Admission to all games is free.