Jan. 2, 2005
TENNESSEE HEAD COACH Buzz Peterson:
"This was much better than Thursday. We have been through a couple of tough days since the Nebraska game. We came out with a good attitude, saw our shots drop, and were able to take Coastal Carolina out of the game early.
"For SEC play now approaching, we need to work on our break, and to be clicking on all cylinders. I told our team the most important part of the season lies ahead of us.
"Before the game, I told them we needed to get off to a good start, and we did. What really pleases me is that after the Nebraska game, we came out with the right mentality, and a good attitude for our practice on Friday. I did not have to get on them a whole lot, and it showed today.
"We executed on both ends of the floor. I knew we could not hold them in the second half like we did in the first, but I thought we were hustling all the way. We need for C.J. Watson to be aggressive on both ends of the floor as we move into our conference schedule."
COASTAL CAROLINA HEAD COACH PETE STRICKLAND:
"With our league games coming up Wednesday, we will have to put this one behind us. I am sure we will glean some lessons from this game, getting our guys' attention about how poorly we played.
"The barometer is we have to be ready to play better. We have to know who we are, and what we can be. We have to be prepared and ready. Tennessee's inside game took it to us. It was effective, and we were not able to finish.
"We have to get better scoring from our starters. I gave our bench a chance to play, particularly during the second half. We looked at it in four-minute increments rather than the daunting task of coming back from 27 points down. It was mildly effective.
"It is difficult to tell about our league. We all have played games like this, so it is hard to tell. Winthrop beat Providence and East Carolina, and is probably as good a team as we will see."
- Brandon Crump played in his 100th career game as a Volunteer. He tied his career-high with 4 assists, and set a new season-high in rebounds with 10. Crump also recorded his 100th career block.
- Dane Bradshaw drained his first 3-point shot this season. He also tied his season-high in points, with 5, today.
- The Vols shot more than 50 percent, as a team, for the 5th time in their previous seven games.
- Across the last two games, the Vols have shot 19 of 40 from the free-throw stripe.
- The Vols recorded yet another win in their first game of a new year, the sixth straight time Tennessee has done so.