Jan. 4, 2014
- With the 98-51 win, Tennessee (9-4) now holds an 11-2 lead in the series against Tusculum. Today was the first regular-season meeting since Dec. 15, 1944.
- The Vols have now won six in a row against the Pioneers.
- The Vols are now riding a three-game winning streak entering the SEC slate.
- Tennessee is 3-0 against in-state opponents this season (Tennessee State, Tennessee Tech, Tusculum College) and has won five in a row against teams from the Volunteer State, dating to last January.
- Today's game counts as an exhibition for the Pioneers, who remain 1-11 on the season.
- Today's starters: G Antonio Barton, G Jordan McRae, G Darius Thompson, F Jeronne Maymon, F Jarnell Stokes.
- Stokes made his 55th straight start and McRae started his 45th in a row.
- Thompson made his first start since the Vols' season opener at Xavier.
- Senior point guard Antonio Barton knocked down the first field goal for the Vols, a 3-pointer from the top of the arc just 20 seconds into the game.
- Tennessee started the game on an 11-0 run.
- The Vols had an assist on their opening 11 field goals of the game. Thompson and Stokes led the way with four and three, respectively during the stretch.
- Tusculum was held scoreless for the opening 2:57, until Darius Carter hit a 3-pointer with 17:03 on the clock to make it 11-3.
- Sophomore guard Armani Moore was the first to check in for the Vols, entering the game with 15:57 remaining on the clock.
BIGGEST WIN OF Cuonzo Martin ERA AT UT
- The 47-point margin is the biggest win for Tennessee under third-year head coach Cuonzo Martin.
- The Vols are coming off a 35-point (87-52) win against Virginia (Dec. 30), marking the two biggest wins for UT under Martin.
- +47 vs. Tusculum (98-51) 1/4/14
- +35 vs. Virginia (87-52) 12/30/13
- +31 vs. The Citadel (86-55) 12/29/11
- +30 vs. Kentucky (88-58) 2/16/13
FOURTH-MOST ASSISTS IN UT HISTORY
- Tennessee's 30 assists are tied for the fourth-most in program history. UT also dished out 30 against Middle Tennessee on Nov. 20, 2007.
- It's the first time the Vols have had 30 or more assists since recording a program record 34 against UNC Asheville on Nov. 17, 2009.
- Freshman Darius Thompson led the way with a career-high nine dimes in only 23 minutes of play.
VOLS GET SIX IN DOUBLE FIGURES
- Tennessee had six players score in double figures for the first time since Feb. 15, 2012 in a 77-58 home win against Arkansas.
- Jordan McRae (19), Jeronne Maymon (16), Antonio Barton (14), D'Montre Edwards (12), Jarnell Stokes (10) and Josh Richardson (10).
- It was a career-high effort from Edwards and Barton tied his season high with 14 points. With four treys today, Barton has now hit four or more 3-pointers seven times in his career, including one against the Vols while playing for Memphis.
WIRE-TO-WIRE WINS Never trailing in the contest, the Vols recorded their ninth wire-to-wire win under head coach Cuonzo Martin.
It's the fourth time this season UT has had a wire-to-wire win.
The Vols also had a wire-to-wire victory against Virginia, marking the second time this season the Vols have had back-to-back wire-to-wire victories.
UT also did it against The Citadel (Nov. 18) and Tennessee State (Nov. 22).
Wire-to-Wire Wins Under Martin
Date, Opponent, Score
Jan. 4, 2014, Tusculum College, 98-51
Dec. 30, 2013, Virginia, 87-52
Nov. 22, 2013, Tennessee State, 88-67
Nov. 18, 2013, The Citadel, 86-60
Nov. 26, 2012, Oakland, 77-50
March 13, 2012, Savannah St., 65-51
Feb. 25, 2012, South Carolina, 73-64
Dec. 29, 2011, The Citadel, 86-55
Nov. 11, 2011, UNCG, 92-63
McRAE CLIMBING THE CHART With 19 points on Saturday, senior guard Jordan McRae moved up 42nd place on the Vols' all-time scoring list with 1,075 career points.
1,000-Point Club (40th-45th)
Place, Player, Points
40th Terry Crosby (1975-79), 1,096
41st Cameron Tatum (2007-12), 1,083
42nd Jordan McRae (2010-Present), 1,075
43rd Bobby Croft (1967-70), 1,071
44th Rob Jones (1982-86), 1,070
45th Gene Tormohlen (1956-59), 1,020
- The Vols shot 54.5 percent (18-of-33) in the first half en route to a 52-27 lead. The 52 points are the most scored by the Vols in a half this season.
- Tennessee had 17 assists on 18 field goals and zero turnovers in the first half.
- Jordan McRae and Jeronne Maymon led the way with 17 and 12 points, respectively. Jarnell Stokes added six points and seven rebounds.
- Under Coach Martin, UT improves to 36-7 in games it led at the half.
UP NEXT: LSU
- Tennessee opens its 18-game SEC slate Tuesday (Jan. 7) when it travels to Baton Rouge, La., to face LSU at the Pete Maravich Center at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.
- The Vols lead the all-time series with the Tigers, 61-43, dating to 1933. Tennessee has won each of the last five meetings.