Jan. 8, 2009
Tennessee Head Coach Bruce Pearl: "Gonzaga's second-half shooting was the difference. That was the difference in the game. Once we got into overtime, we missed two layups and started forcing shots.
"In the overtime they got the lead and we did not get a lot of looks. We played a lot of great teams, but we have not won our last couple of games, but we have played six high-major clubs, winning two and losing four. I am disappointed. We have seen about everything we can look at now, so we will be ready for SEC competition.
"Cameron Tatum has to continue to play aggressively. The last two teams we have played have great point guards who will both play in the pros; they have played great basketball.
"The crowd was phenomenal. It was unbelievable, and they had a lot to do with our comeback in the second half. Wayne Chism did an outstanding job of dominating the boards with 19 rebounds. We showed real toughness at times, and our effort was good."
Gonzaga Head Coach Mark Few: "We knew it was going to be a tough one, and this is exactly what we needed to do. All of our games have been like this, but we just have not finished them off. They have either been the last possession of the game, or in the final minute, and this one featured both of those aspects.
"It was great to be able to do it, and I told the guys they had to dig even deeper to get it done in overtime. I thought they showed a ton of character and willingness to just win and compete. We had pretty much thrown it all out there on the table in the second half. We trailed early and they are a team of runs, but we did not think they were as great a shooting team as they were last year. We talked about personnel and Cameron Tatum was one guy we wanted to make sure did not get shots. But I loved how we came back and I thought we showed poise there. We did not panic. I thought at halftime if we had made our free throws we would have been up.
"The one thing I wanted our guys focusing on out here was getting back to savoring competition. That is what it is about. It is the last couple of minutes, and it is time. We had gotten away from that, waiting for teams to come at us, but tonight we got back to competing and playing with some desire."
- Cameron Tatum scored a career-high 22 points with 19 coming in the first half. His previous career high was 19 points vs. Chattanooga on Nov. 15, 2008.
- Wayne Chism posted 15 points and a career-high 19 rebounds for his fifth double-double of the season. His previous career high for rebounds was 18 vs. Vanderbilt on Jan. 17, 2008.
- Tonight's attendance was 22,326, a post-renovation arena record. The previous top attendance mark was 21,846 vs. Mississippi on Jan. 9, 2008.
- J.P. Prince earned his second start of the season, making him the ninth Vol to start multiple games this season.
- Tennessee's bench outscored the Bulldog bench 10-8. The Vols' bench has outscored the opponent's bench in every game this season.