Feb. 8, 2012
BY THE NUMBERS
4: Skylar McBee made four 3-pointers, his most in SEC play in his career.
10: The Vols have won 10 games in a row in the series with South Carolina, the longest win-streak in the series.
10: Tennessee made 10 3-pointers, the Vols most in an SEC game this season and equalling their most in two years as they also made 10 vs. LSU last season (1/26/11).
38: The Vols attempted just 38 field goals in the win. It was the lowest total for the Vols since Feb. 25, 1997, when UT shot 18-of-33 in a loss to Kentucky.
1,000: Cameron Tatum became the 44th Vol in history to score 1,000 points as he reached the mark with a 3-pointer in the final minute of the first half.
TATUM TOPS 1,000-POINT PLATEAU
- Senior guard Cameron Tatum became the 44th all-time member of UT's 1,000 Point Club and the third Georgia native to reach the plateau.
- Tatum scored his 1,000th career point with a 3-point field goal with 39 seconds left in the first half.
- Tatum became the 16th Vol with 1,000 points and 200 assists in a career. He now has 1,000 points and 207 assists.
McBEEE FOR THREEE
- Junior Skylar McBee made his second-career start and made the most of it with his second-consecutive game in double-figures as he scored a career-high 18.
- McBee nailed three consecutive 3-pointers late in the first half as the Vols went on an 14-4 run to end the first half. That gave him 11 first-half points. All 11 points came in the half's final 2:54.
- It was McBee's eighth game this season in double-figures and 11th in his career.
- Sophomore guard Trae Golden returned to the starting line-up after coming off the bench for the first time all year in the win over Georgia. Golden netted 14 points for his 17th game in double-figures this season and in his career. He has three of those games in his last four.
MAYMON IN DOUBLE-FIGURES AGAIN
- Junior forward Jeronne Maymon scored in double-figures for the fifth game in a row with 12 points. It was Maymon's 16th game this season with 10 or more.
HALL OF A REBOUNDER
- Kenny Hall made his first start in an SEC game and pulled down 10 rebounds, his third game this season in double-figure boards and first since he had 10 vs. Austin Peay (12/10/11).
- Hall now has five-career game in double-figure rebounds.
FEWEST FIELD GOALS ATTEMPTED SINCE 1997
- The Vols won despite the fewest field goals attempted since Feb. 25, 1997, making 19-of-38 vs. South Carolina. Back in 1997, UT shot just 33 field goals (making 18) in a 74-64 loss to Kentucky.
- Tennessee has not won a game with 38 or fewer field goal attempts since at least 1986-87. Research will be done to find out the last time the Vols won with fewer field goal attempts.
- The Vols depended on the 3-point shot heavily in the win over South Carolina as Tennessee canned 10-of-20 from beyond the arc. The last time the Vols made more than 10 in an SEC game since Jan. 31, 2009, when UT shot 12-of-28 in a 79-63 win over the Gators.
- The Vols high for 3-pointers in an SEC game last season was 10 vs. LSU on Jan. 26, 2011 as UT shot 10-of-26.
HOME COURT ADVANTAGE
- The Vols have won nine of their last 10 home games. UT is 11-3 at home in 2011-12.
- Tennessee has won every home game since topping UNC Asheville on Dec. 20, 2011 with the exception of a tough three-point loss to current No. 1 Kentucky on Jan. 14.
THE SOUTH CAROLINA SERIES
- UT's current 10-game win streak is the longest in the series by either team, and the Vols also have won 10 straight over the Gamecocks in Knoxville.
- The 10-game win streak is the longest for UT over an SEC opponent.
- Tennessee leads the all-time series 36-23. The Vols have won 23 of the last 31 meetings between the schools.
- When the series is played in Knoxville, the Vols own a 23-7 advantage. Tennessee and South Carolina met for the first time on Jan 15, 1927, in Columbia. The teams played off-and-on between the 1927 and 1972 seasons but did not play from 1972 until 1988 when the series was renewed
NEW LINE-UP SUCCESS
- Cuonzo Martin went with his fifth different starting line-up this season (Skylar McBee, Trae Golden and Cameron Tatum at the guards and Jeronne Maymon and Kenny Hall in the front court). The Vols are now 5-0 when a line-up makes its debut.
- The Vols topped #13 UConn (1/21) with Jarnell Stokes, Maymon, Richardson, Golden and Tatum.
- In its last game, Tennessee started the line-up of Richardson, Tatum, Maymon, Stokes and McBee as the Vols beat Georgia (2/4).
- The Vols head to No. 8 Florida for a Saturday match-up at 4 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the SEC Network and can be heard on the Vol Network.
- Tennessee returns home to face Arkansas next Wednesday night at 8 p.m. That game will be on the SEC Network and heard on the Vol Network.