Feb. 8, 2014
FOR THE WIN
- The Vols improved to 15-8, 6-4 in the SEC while South Carolina dropped to 8-15, 1-9
- The Vols have won 13 consecutive games against the Gamecocks
- UT has a four-game winning streak at Thompson-Boling Arena
- Tennessee is 15-4 in the month of February under head coach Cuonzo Martin
- Tennessee is now 7-1 after losses this season
- Tennessee starters: Josh Richardson, Jarnell Stokes, Darius Thompson, Jeronne Maymon, Jordan McRae.
- It was the fourth consecutive game the Vols have used this starting lineup. The lineup is 3-2
- McRae has appeared in 100 games in his career and has started 60 of them.
- Jeronne Maymon scored first, a layup underneath the basket at 19:19 in Tennessee's second possession.
DOUBLE FIGURE SCORERS
- Tennessee had three players reach double-digit scoring: Jordan McRae (24), Jarnell Stokes (17) and Jeronne Maymon (10)
- Stokes has scored more than 10 points 18 times this season. Maymon has scored at least 10 points 36 times.
McRAE'S BIG DAY
- Jordan McRae finished with 24 points, the 12th time he has scored at least 20 points this season
- He has led the Vols in scoring in 16 of 23 games this season
- McRae scored 20 points in the first half, the most by a Vol in a first half since Chris Lofton had 20 points against Georgia (1/26/2008)
- Earlier this season, McRae scored 24 points in the second half against Arkansas in an 81-74 home victory Jan. 22.
- The Vols scored the first 10 points of the game
- During that time, Stokes (4), Maymon (2), McRae (2) and Thompson (2) all scored
- South Carolina finally made it to the scoreboard on a shot by Sindarius Thornwell with 15:00 on the clock.
- Tennessee scored another six points to extend the lead to 16-2.
BIG-SCORING FIRST HALF
- The Vols led South Carolina 45-22 at halftime
- It was the most the Vols have put up in a first half this season in SEC play and the most UT has put up against an SEC opponent since scoring 50 in the first half against Kentucky last season (W, 88-58, 2/16/13)
- McRae was 5-of-6 from the 3-point line and finished with 20 points in the first half, draining a final 3-pointer as the half came to a close. He was 7 of 11 from the floor
- As a team, Tennessee was 18 of 31 from the floor (58 percent) while holding South Carolina to just 8 of 29 (28 percent)
- Tennessee eventually led by as many as 24 points early in the second half
WIRE-TO-WIRE WIN AGAIN
- After jumping out to a 10-0 lead, the Vols recorded their 13th wire-to-wire win under third-year head coachCuonzo Martin.
- It's the eighth time this season UT has had a wire-to-wire win.
Wire-to-Wire Wins Under Martin
Date, Opponent, Score
Feb. 8, 2014, South Carolina, 72-53
Feb. 1, 2014, at Alabama, 76-59
Jan. 29, 2014, Ole Miss, 86-70
Jan. 15, 2014, Auburn, 78-67
Jan. 4, 2014, Tusculum College, 98-51
Dec. 30, 2013, Virginia, 87-52
Nov. 22, 2013, Tennessee State, 88-67
Nov. 18, 2013, The Citadel, 86-60
Nov. 26, 2012, Oakland, 77-50
March 13, 2012, Savannah St., 65-51
Feb. 25, 2012, South Carolina, 73-64
Dec. 29, 2011, The Citadel, 86-55
Nov. 11, 2011, UNCG, 92-63
THE STEALERS & A LOOK AT THE DEFENSE
- The Vols had a season-high nine steals Saturday
- Thompson, Stokes and Maymon each had two steals
- Tennessee held South Carolina to 36 percent shooting from the field (20 of 56). It is the sixth time this season the Vols have held an opponent to under 40 percent shooting.
- The Vols have held 43 of their last 55 opponents to fewer than 70 points.
- Tennessee is now 8-0 when shooting 50 percent or better from the field (52 percent)
- Tennessee is 23-0 under head coach Cuonzo Martin when it shoots at least 50 percent from the field (52 percent)
- Tennessee is 12-1 this season when it shoots a better percentage than its opponents (52 percent to 36 percent)
- Tennessee hosts Florida on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. at Thompson-Boling Arena
- The game will be televised on ESPN