Feb. 11, 2012
BY THE NUMBERS
1: The Vols won their first road game of the season at No. 8/7 Florida. UT had lost their first seven away games.
3: Tennessee swept Florida for the third time in five years, also sweeping in 2007-08 and 2008-09.
13.7: In his three starts Skylar McBee is scoring 13.7 points per game including 13 at Florida.
17: The Vols scored the game's first 17 second-chance points and finished with a 17-8 lead in the category.
19: Tennessee ended Florida's 19-game homecourt win streak at the O'Connell Center, tied for the sixth-longest streak in the NCAA entering the game.
ROAD WIN, FINALLY
- After starting the year with seven consecutive losses in road games, the Vols picked up their first true road win of the season at Florida.
- Coming into play on Saturday, the bottom six teams in the SEC had a combined total of one win in conference play (Ole Miss at Georgia on Jan. 21, 66-63). On Saturday, in addition to the Vols win at Florida, Georgia upset Mississippi State, 70-68 in overtime.
- Tennessee's only other win away from home this season was against Chaminade in the Maui Invitational on Nov. 23, 2011.
- The last time the Vols were winless on the road into February was in 1996-97, when they did not win a road game all season, finishing 0-10.
- The last time the Vols picked up their first road win of the season in the month of February was in the 1977-78 season. UT started that year 0-6 on the road before winning 77-72 at Georgia on Feb. 18, 1978.
ENDING GATORS' HOME WIN STREAK
- The Vols ended the Gators' 19-game homecourt win streak with the victory in Gainesville. That 19-game homecourt win streak was tied for the sixth-longest in the NCAA coming into play on Saturday. Kentucky (49) tops the list, followed by Ohio State (39), which hosts Michigan State on Saturday night. Harvard (25) is third on the list followed by LIU (21) and Oral Roberts (21), which hosts Western Illinois tonight.
- At the bottom of every box score, there are several stats known as "superlatives," the Vols dominated in those areas at Florida, owning the following advantages:
Points In The Paint: Vols 36, Gators 14
Points Off Turnovers: Vols 21, Gators 12
2nd Chance Points: Vols 17, Gators 8
Bench Points: Vols 22, Gators 10
- Sophomore guard Trae Golden returned to the starting line-up after coming off the bench for the first time all year in the win over Georgia. Golden netted 17 points for his 17th game in double-figures this season and in his career. He has three of those games in his last four.
- Golden also handed out seven assists, equalling his most in an SEC game, which he set against Florida in the first meeting back on Jan. 7.
MAYMON DOUBLES HIS PLEASURE
- Jeronne Maymon posted his seventh double-double of the season and his career with 15 points and 11 rebounds. His last one came at Auburn, when he had 15 points and 19 rebounds.
- It was Maymon's 17th game this season in double-figure scoring and 18th in his career.
- It was Maymon's eighth game in double-figure rebounds including three in SEC play.
McRAE OF SCORING LIGHT
- After a rough start to conference play, Jordan McRae has picked up his play over the last five SEC games. He netted 12 at Florida to give him double-figures in three of his last five games.
- McRae came into the game averaging 5.6 points in conference games, but is scoring 9.0 over his last five games.
- McRae has now scored in double-figures 11 times this season and in his career.
McSTARTER RACKING UP POINTS
- Junior Skylar McBee has made the most of opportunity to moving into the starting line-up. For the third game in a row -- all starts -- McBee scored in double-figures with 13. He is averaging 13.7 over the last three games.
- McBee has nine games this season in double-figures including four of the last five games. He has 12 games in his 89-game career with 10 or more points.
- The Vols are now 9-0 when McBee scores 10 or more points this season.
THE FLORIDA SERIES
- This was the 123rd all-time meeting between the two schools, with Tennessee holding a 71-52 series advantage. Florida has a 32-25 all-time edge when playing in Gainesville.
- The Vols last won in Gainesville on March 1, 2009 with a 79-75 win.
- The Vols swept the season series for the third time in five years, also taking the home-and-home in 2007-08 and 2008-09. Last year, Florida swept all three meetings last season
- The Vols have won 12 of the last 18 meetings.
- Cuonzo Martin is now 2-0 in head coaching meetings with Billy Donovan.
NEW LINE-UP SUCCESS
- Cuonzo Martin started the same line-up for the second game in a row going with his fifth different starting line-up this season (Skylar McBee, Trae Golden and Cameron Tatum at the guards and Jeronne Maymon and Kenny Hall in the front court). The line-ups debuted in Wednesday's win vs. South Carolina.
- It was Skylar McBee's third consecutive start, the first three starts of his career.
- Tennessee returns home to face Arkansas on Wednesday night at 8 p.m. That game will be on the SEC Network and heard on the Vol Network.