March 9, 2012
Numbers of Interest
2: Tennessee had two players with double-figure rebounds (Maymon-17, Stokes-11) for just the second time this season (vs. Pittsburgh, 12/3/11).
4: Tennessee tied a school-record for OT games in a season, playing in its fourth overtime game in 2011-12.
5: Skylar McBee matched a career-best with five 3-pointers, including one off the glass to tie the game at 61 and force overtime.
17: Jeronne Maymon's 17 rebounds were the second-most ever by a Vol in an SEC Tournament game and is tied for eighth overall.
27: The SEC's leading free-throw shooter Trae Golden saw his streak of 27 made free throws in a row end in the first half.
SEC TOURNAMENT HISTORY
-The Vols are 60-48 all-time in the SEC Tournament. Only Kentucky (117 wins) has more SEC Tournament victories.
- UT's .561 winning percentage in the SEC tourney is third-best in the league.
- Since the tournament was renewed in 1979, the Vols are 25-33.
- Tennessee's four SEC Tournament titles are the third-most of any league member. Only Kentucky (27) and Alabama (6) have won the tournament more times.
- Since 2005, Tennessee is 7-8 in the SEC Tournament and 6-4 vs. teams that used to comprise the Western Division, which included Ole Miss.
- Tennessee is now 36-50 all-time in overtime contests after losing for the third time in four tries this season. The Vols fell in double-overtime, 99-97, to Memphis on Nov. 22, lost 57-53 in OT at Georgia on Jan. 18 and defeated LSU, 74-69, on Feb. 29.
- It marked UT's first overtime game in the SEC Tournament since a 76-67 loss to LSU on 3/8/2007. Overall, the Vols are now 2-3 in SEC Tournament overtime games, defeating LSU, 74-71, on 3/11/1983 and UK, 75-69, in the 1979 SEC Championship game (3/3). UT lost its first SEC tourney OT battle to UK, 30-29 on 3/1/1940.
- Tennessee's last overtime win before the LSU tilt came against Ole Miss last season, a 71-69 win on Jan. 16, 2010.
- UT's fourth OT game ties a school-record for a single season. The Vols also played four OT games in 1983-84, 1985-86, 1987-88 and 2000-01.
MEN IN WHITE
- Vols are 15-4 when wearing their white uniforms this season, last winning away from home at LSU on Feb. 29.
McBEE FOR THREE
- Skylar McBee's three-pointer with 2.1 seconds remaining in regulation tied the game at 61 and forced OT.
- McBee's five triples matched a career-high, marking the third time he's hit that mark. McBee also connected on five treys vs. ULM (11/16/11) and vs. Chattanooga (1/2/12).
- All 15 of McBee's points came from downtown, shooting 5-of-10. It was his best scoring effort since posting a career-high 18 vs. South Carolina (2/8/12).
- Tennessee lost for just the first time when McBee scores in double-figures. The Vols were 10-0.
TATUM'S STRONG START
- Senior Cameron Tatum scored 10 of the Vols' first 11 points in the game as he finished with 15. He had all of those 10 points in the game's first 9:30. Coming into the game, Tatum average 5.8 points per game away from Thompson-Boling Arena.
- Tatum was the only Vol to make a field goal for the game's first 17:39 before Trae Golden scored with 2:19 left in the first half as the Vols began the game 3-of-22.
- Tatum opened up scoring for UT by hitting a pair of three-pointers. It marked the second time this season that Tatum connected on multiple treys away from Thompson-Boling Arena. Tatum hit three triples at Oakland (11/28/11).
- With three 3-pointers, Tatum has connected on multiple treys away from home 16 times in his career - three times against Ole Miss.
- With Jeronne Maymon's 17 rebounds and 11 from Jarnell Stokes, the Vols had multiple players with double-figure rebounds for the second time this season. Against Pittsburgh, Kenny Hall pulled down 12 rebounds and Cam Tatum grabbed 10.
MAYMON: A MAN ON THE GLASS
- Jeronne Maymon corralled a game-high 17 rebounds. It was the 10th time this season he had double-figure rebounds.
- Maymon's 17 rebounds were the second-most ever by a Vol in an SEC Tournament game. Steve Hamer set the league-tournament record with 21 boards vs. Alabama in 1996.
- Maymon had 11 rebounds in the first half alone.
- It was Maymon's third game with 15 or more rebounds along with a career-high 20 vs. Memphis (11/22/11) and 19 vs. Auburn (1/28/12).
MAYMON: A MAN WHO TAKES CHARGES
- Jeronne Maymon drew three charges to add to his team-best 19 on the season.
MAYMON: A MAN ON A MISSION
- Jeronne Maymon scored in double-figures for the 13th consecutive game and 24th time this season with 11.
- He's also scored at least 12 points in every game vs. an SEC teams this year -- all 17.
- Maymon recorded his ninth double-double of the season and his career.
- Sophomore Trae Golden finished with 21 points for his 25th game in double-figures this season and in his career. He has reached 10 or more points in each of the last 10 games. He's scored 20 or more points six times this season and has led UT in the category 10 times.
THE OLE MISS SERIES
- Tennessee and Ole Miss met for the 108th time Friday. The Vols hold a 69-39 all-time advantage.
- Tennessee is now 5-7 all-time against Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament.
- Tennessee has won 17 of the last 25 meetings dating to the 1991 season.
- Cuonzo Martin and Andy Kennedy faced one another as head coaches for the second time. The previous was the regular-season 73-60 Vols win back on Feb. 22.