March 19, 2012
BY THE NUMBERS
2: MTSU has both its wins over the Vols in the NIT, also beating UT in 1988. All-time the Vols are 9-2 vs. MTSU.
15-0: MTSU finished the game with a 15-0 run, as the Vols didn't score for the game's final 7:11.
138: Cameron Tatum played his 138th and final game with the Vols, second-most in UT history.
1,083: Cameron Tatum finished his UT career with 1,083 points, 41st all-time at Tennessee.
12,038: A raucous crowd of 12,038 came out to support Tennessee in the NIT.
NIT TOURNAMENT HISTORY
- In its 12th NIT appearance and first since 2004, the Vols fell to 13-12 all-time in the event with a 71-64 loss to MTSU.
- The Vols haven't won consecutive games in the NIT since 1985, when UT advanced to the semifinals in New York.
- Additionally, the Vols are now 6-3 all-time when hosting an NIT game.
NEW STARTING FIVE
- Tennessee trotted out its eighth different starting lineup this season, including Jordan McRae, who received his first starting nod since Jan. 4, 2012 at Memphis.
- For the first time, Tennessee lost its first game when debuting a lineup (7-1).
- The only player to start all 34 games this season was senior Cameron Tatum
VETERAN TATUM FINISHES CAREER
- Cameron Tatum played in his 138th and final career game at Tennessee. He stands in second place on UT's all-time games-played list. Wayne Chism holds the record with 142 games played from 2007-10.
- Tatum finished his career 1,083 points, to finish 41st in career scoring at Tennessee.
- Tatum had 401 career rebounds and 232 career assists.
- Tatum made the Vols' only 3-pointer vs. MTSU to finish his career with 155 made treys, the 10th-most in a career at Tennessee.
HOME STREAK COMES TO A CLOSE
- The Vols lost at home for the first time since Jan. 14 to No. 1 Kentucky. It snapped a nine home game winning streak. UT finished the season winning 13 of its last 15 at Thompson-Boling Arena.
THE RETURN OF MAYMON
- Jeronne Maymon, who missed UT's previous game vs. Savannah State with a bruised knee, scored in double-figures for the 14th consecutive game that he's played in and 25th time this season with 17 - 11 of which came in the first half.
- He's also scored at least 12 points in every game vs. an SEC teams this year -- all 17.
- Maymon led the Vols in scoring for the eighth time this season.
- For the fourth time in the last five games, freshman Jarnell Stokes reached double-figures with 15 points - 12 of which came in the first half.
- The rookie has scored in double-figures eight times this season.
- After making 21-of-34 (.618) free throws to open his career, Stokes made 16 of his last 21 (.762), including a 5-of-7 effort tonight.
- With eight assists, Trae Golden had his best effort since dishing out a career-high 11 vs. ULM on Nov. 16, 2011. It was Golden's third game this season with eight assists or more, but first since that ULM game.
- Sophomore Trae Golden finished with 14 points for his 27th game in double-figures this season and in his career. He has reached 10 or more points in each of the last 12 games.
- Tennessee and MTSU met for the 11th time Monday, with the Vols holding a 9-2 edge, dating to 1988. The first meeting came in the 1988 NIT (3/1/1988), when the Blue Raiders defeated UT, 85-80 for their lone victory in the series.
- Both of MTSU's win in the series have come in the NIT.
- Tennessee suffered its first loss to Knoxville in history, standing at 6-1.
- MTSU will face the winner of tonight's game between No. 2 Miami and No. 6 Minnesota on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The game at will be televised on ESPN2.