Nov. 27, 2009
TENNESSEE HEAD COACH Bruce Pearl: "We have had four games in seven days, and five games in eight or nine days. Yesterday was one of the hardest practices of the year. It did not start out that way, but we are trying to develop a different level of physicality and intensity. And I absolutely wore Scotty Hopson out. We did not have a lot of energy tonight because of the number of games we have played and how hard we have practiced.
"I think this will serve us well in the long run, and I think it was a factor tonight in our play.
"Give College of Charleston credit; they have done a nice job. They are a dangerous team from the 3-point line, and they made nine of them against ETSU. They have been on the road in three of their games; they have had a chance to win at each place.
"I do not know they were close enough to win the game tonight, but they were certainly in the game. A lot of that has to do with your expectations. Can you expect us to blow out every team? No, we are not going to blow out every team. We are just not going to. A team with good guard play and quickness, plus a little bit of ball control, combined with the number of games we played, and how hard we have been practicing, means we are not going to blow out everyone we play."
COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON HEAD COACH BOBBY CREMINS: "It was a great experience coming here to Knoxville.
"I really appreciate Tennessee playing us. Coach Pearl has been great. This is a classy program. It was a pleasure playing these guys. We were competitive tonight. We were right there, and then we ran out of gas. They were too powerful for us. They are a very good team. They played with a lot of poise, and they are tough.
"It was a competitive game, though, and we're glad about that."
- The Vols improved to 3-0 at Thompson-Boling Arena this season.
- Sophomore Cameron Tatum made his first start of the season, the fifth of his career. He finished 3-for-5 shooting with six points and three rebounds in 22 minutes played.
- Scotty Hopson paced the Vols with 21 points. It was the third time this season that he has finished with at least 20 points. He has led the team in scoring in four of the six games UT has played this year.
- Hopson also tied his career high with six rebounds.
- Tyler Smith made all eight shots from the free throw line and finished with 18 points.
- Brian Williams led the Vols with seven rebounds. It was a season high and the first time he has led the Vols in rebounds this year.
- Tennessee's bench outscored Charleston's reserves 26-8.