Dec. 5, 2004
TENNESSEE HEAD COACH Buzz Peterson:
"Congratulations go to Chattanooga and to coach John Shulman. UTC is a good team. They hit some big shots from outside. They did an excellent job of coming in here, and playing with energy. We need to find that kind of energy at the defensive end of the floor.
"We had some good looks on offense. On our last play, we were trying to get Brandon Crump a good shot, but it did not go in. It bothers me that they got some offensive rebounds during the second half.
"The way they got to Lofton is something that we will be seeing a lot of from now on. Teams will try to get to him, so what he will need to do is to get off some shots from the dribble.
"I hate that we will not be playing during these next six days, but examinations are our top priority. We will coach them tomorrow night at 7, working around exams. We have just got to do a better job of showing some energy. Right now we need to get tough and dig in."
UT-CHATTANOOGA HEAD COACH JOHN SHULMAN:
"This team plays so hard, and has such perseverance. We blocked Chris Lofton's shot, and C.J. Watson made the 3-pointer. I wanted to lie down and cry. We showed some real guts. I was confident in letting Chris Brown take the shot.
"We've not been a very good shooting team. I didn't know if our kids felt as though we could play with them. I made a point to play Jerice Crouch. I was just going to close my eyes when we struggled. We have to play through the struggles. He had a big shot. I decided before the game that we were going to double, and do what we do. We came after them hard. They are huge, but we needed to do what we do.
"I like A.J. Maston. Every time I put him in, he makes me look like a genius. He can really shoot. One shot he was a decoy, but he knew when to shoot. He's a walk-on who earned a scholarship, and a place in Chattanooga basketball history. They couldn't have scouted him because he has not yet played.
"Tennessee hurt us early in the second half, and made some big shots. I am just a good old East Tennessee boy who grew up watching Bernie and Ernie. I need to retire right now because it can't get any better than this. It means the world for recruiting and gives this team, and me, an identity. We had some bad luck at Ohio State and Virginia Tech.
"This is such a hard situation for Tennessee to play us. They have to take all the heat, and I appreciate the opportunity to come here and play."
- UTC's win snapped Tennessee's 23-game winning streak in series. It was UT's longest over any opponent.
- C.J. Watson tied a career high in points (19) while establishing career-bests in 3-pointers made (5), attempted (12), and field goals attempted (17). His 19 points came against Texas earlier this season.
- Scooter McFadgon extended his consecutive free throw streak to 28, the second longest of his career (32). He also recorded the first double-double of his UT career. The 10 rebounds matched his career-high set twice while at the University of Memphis.
- Brandon Crump scored 10 points to become the 37th Vol to reach 1,000 points. Crump now has 1,005 career points.
- Chris Lofton dished out a season-high 7 assists.
- JaJuan Smith doubled his season output in the first half with six points in 11 minutes. He entered the game with just three points in 10 minutes in three games.