Dec. 14, 2010
UT-Oakland Post-Game NotesFor Starters
- Oakland used a 13-0 run to take an 81-76 lead late in the second half and closed the game on a 21-6 run to give the Vols their first loss.
- UT is 7-1 after eight contests for the fourth time in the Bruce Pearl era.
- UT used a 21-8 run in the final 6:50 of the first half, including a 9-0 spurt, to take a 50-39 lead into intermission. The Vols' 50 points were the most they've scored in a half so far this season. UT scored on 15 of its last 20 first-half possessions.
- For the first time this season, someone not named Scotty Hopson or Tobias Harris scored the Vols' first points. Brian Williams scored on a lay-up to put UT on the board.
- For the third time in eight contests, the Vols had four players in double-figures: Brian Williams and Melvin Goins led the way with 18 each, followed by Tobias Harris (16) and Cameron Tatum (13).
Go, Goins, Go
- Senior point guard Melvin Goins (San Diego, Calif.) dished out a career-high six assists to facilitate UT's offense and tie for the game lead. Goins also connected on a career-best seven field goals to score 18 points.
- Goins had a hand in all of UT's first 14 points. The San Diego product assisted on four Tennessee field goals, hit both of his free throw attempts and recorded a three-point basket.
- Goins' four steals tied his season-high, a feat that he's now accomplished three times.
Williams Controls Paint
- Senior center Brian Williams (Bronx, N.Y.) posted a season-best 18 points and tied a season-high with 13 rebounds.
- Williams' efforts on the glass marked the fourth time this season and 26th time in his career that he's led UT in rebounding. Both of those figures lead the Vols.
- His double-double was his first of the season and the second by a Vol this season.
Tobias Continues To Lead
- Freshman forward Tobias Harris (Dix Hills, N.Y.) scored 16 points, reaching that figure for the fourth time this season.
- Harris added six rebounds. He's grabbed at least six rebounds five times this season.
- Junior guard Cameron Tatum (Lithonia, Ga.) notched 13 points, four rebounds and four assists for another all-around performance.
- Tatum connected on four field goals for the third time this season. Tonight marked the first time this year that Tatum has reached double figures and totaled at least four rebounds and four assists.
Hopson Efficient at the Stripe
- Junior guard Scotty Hopson (Hopkinsville, Ky.) scored five of his season-low seven points from the free throw line, matching a career high for the fifth time.
- All five of Hopson's five free-throw outings have come this season.
Golden Leads Bench
- Freshman point guard Trae Golden (Powder Springs, Ga.) led the UT bench with five points, including his second career three-point field goal.
- Sophomore forward Kenny Hall (Stone Mountain, Ga.) scored on a three-point play in the first half to cut Oakland's lead to 26-25. Hall also contributed a pair of rebounds in eight minutes, the fourth time he's pulled down multiple boards this season.
Fields Still Leads Vols
- Senior forward John Fields (Fayetteville, N.C.) failed to register a blocked shot for just the second time this season. Fields leads the Vols with 13 blocks in 2010-11. He has also scored in every game but one.