Dec. 29, 2008
Tennessee Head Coach Bruce Pearl: "We took Wayne Chism to UT Medical Center as a precautionary measure. He had a head and neck injury, but we do not know to what extent. Chism had a terrific game, dominating inside and outside.
"We are making progress, but shooting continues to be an issue. We are inconsistent. We will spend some practice time on our shooting, and eventually we will shoot well.
"J.P. Prince is about 75 per cent. He had such a difficult off-season, coming in and out of the lineup because of injuries, but his coming back now was effective tonight, and it will be good to have him at full speed as the season goes along. He is a courageous athlete.
"We are focusing on the ends and sidelines as we try to get turnovers, and have shown great energy in trying to accomplish that. For us to give up 14 offensive rebounds is not good. Josh Tabb had a real solid game; he is getting more comfortable and more aggressive.
"Bobby Maze was effective at the point, but he has leveled off. We need Maze to pick up his play. If point-guard play does not go well, we could give Prince some time there, but I think we will be OK.
"For our next game, it will not surprise me if we play well at Kansas, or if we play like a team that is not ready to take on Kansas. I think we will be ready.
Louisiana Head Coach Robert Lee: "What we talked about at halftime was that the key was going to be the first few minutes of the second half, and that is where we lost the game. They came out very aggressive, got out in transition, and we were not able to respond. We did not get to the free-throw line at all. If you do not get to the line, you are going to have a difficult winning, especially against a good team such as Tennessee."
- Tennessee improves to 28-0 all-time under Bruce Pearl against non-conference opponents at Thompson-Boling arena.
- The Vols home-court win streak is now at 37 games.
- Tennessee improves to 22-3 all-time vs. the Sun Belt Conference, while Bruce Pearl is a perfect 10-0 vs. the conference.
- Wayne Chism posted his fourth double-double of the season with 18 points and 15 rebounds. His four double-doubles this season are a team high and his eight career double-doubles ties Tyler Smith for the active career lead among Vols.
- Tennessee had 10 players score for the fourth time this season. The Vols also had 10 players on the scoreboard in the Chattanooga, UT Martin and UNC Asheville games.