- The Vols have started 11 of the past 12 years on a winning note, earning a victory in their first game after New Year's Eve. The lone blemish during that span came in 2009 at Kansas (Jan. 3).
- The University of Tennessee is currently on holiday break. Spring semester classes begin Jan. 11.
- Junior guard Skylar McBee has made at least three 3-pointers in four of Tennessee's last five games. He is shooting a team-best .463 (25 of 54) from beyond the arc this season (third in the SEC).
- On Dec. 23, five-star power forward Jarnell Stokes from Memphis, Tenn., signed with Tennessee. A consensus national top-20 prospect, Stokes will enroll for spring classes and will be eligible to play for the Vols upon completion of all required administrative processes.
- Tennessee's vice chancellor and director of athletics, Dave Hart, is the father of Chattanooga athletics director Rick Hart.
- The Harts don't provide the only noteworthy connection in this series. Houston Fancher, UT's director of basketball operations, regularly faced Chattanooga head coach John Shulman in Southern Conference action when Fancher was the head coach at Appalachian State (2000-09).
- Monday's game marks a homecoming of sorts for a trio of Mocs student-athletes. Sophomore forward Drew Baker (Karns HS), junior forward Sam Watson (Farragut HS) and freshman guard Ronrico White (Bearden HS) are Knoxville natives.
- Ronrico White--the son of Vols great Tony White (1984-87)--is a Knoxville native and averages 4.8 points and 15.8 minutes per game for the Mocs.
The Chattanooga Series
- The Vols lead the all-time series with Chattanooga 32-5, dating to 1913 ... Tennessee has won 26 of the last 27 meetings, with the lone blemish coming on Dec. 5, 2004, when the Mocs posted a 69-68 win in Knoxville ... The Vols made history during their season-opening rout of Chattanooga on Nov. 15, 2008, by dishing out a school-record 32 assists ... That game marked the collegiate debut of former Vols guard Scotty Hopson and current senior Renaldo Woolridge.
Vols vs. System Schools
- The University of Tennessee system has three men's basketball programs, each based in Knoxville, Martin and Chattanooga ... The Vols are a combined 36-5 against their in-system counterparts ... The Big Orange are 32-5 vs. the Mocs of UT-Chattanooga and 4-0 against the Skyhawks of UT-Martin.
On This Date: Jan. 2
- Tennessee is 11-11 all-time on Jan. 2 and owns a two-game win streak on this date ... The Vols' last game on this date was an 83-51 home win over Coastal Carolina in 2005.