Jan. 3, 2012
TENNESSEE vs. MEMPHIS
Wednesday, Jan. 4 | 8:07 p.m. ET
FedEx Forum | Memphis, Tenn.
VOLS TRAVEL FOR REMATCH WITH MEMPHIS
- The Big Orange enter Wednesday's game riding a four-game win streak. That marks Tennessee's longest win streak of the season. However, the Vols are 0-2 in true road games this season.
- Tennessee's 39 3-point attempts in Monday's win were the second-most in school history (record is 50). Skylar McBee made five treys en route to a career-high 16 points, and Trae Golden made four.
- In UT's seven wins, four perimeter Vols are each shooting better than 41 percent from 3-point range: Skylar McBee (.479), Cameron Tatum (.459), Trae Golden (.412) and Jordan McRae (.412).
- Just three days after undergoing surger on his broken nose, sophomore point guard Trae Golden tied his career-high for scoring with 29 points in UT's win over Chattanooga Monday.
- On Dec. 23, five-star power forward Jarnell Stokes from Memphis, Tenn., signed with Tennessee. A consensus national top-20 prospect, Stokes will enroll for spring classes and will be eligible to play for the Vols upon completion of all required administrative processes.
- Stokes is Tennessee's first prep signee from the city of Memphis since Dane Bradshaw in 2002.
- Through the games of Jan. 2, the Vols lead the SEC in free-throw shooting (.712) while ranking second in rebounding defense (32.8 rapg) and third in scoring (76.8 ppg), assists (14.9 apg) and 3-point percentage (.380).
- Only once in the last seven years has Tennessee shot better than 70 percent at the free-throw line (.701 in 2005-06). The Vols are shooting an SEC-best .712 at the charity stripe so far this season.
The Memphis Series
- Wednesday's game features 13 players who are Tennessee natives ... UT leads the all-time series with Memphis 14-9, dating to 1969 ... The Tigers won a hardfought double-overtime win in the Maui Invitational, 99-97 on Nov. 22 ... That game in Maui snapped a streak of six games in the series in which the team with the rebounding edge won the game ... Seventeen of the 23 all-time meetings between the two schools have been decided by 10 points or less ... Tennessee owns a 47-37 all-time record against current members of Conference USA ... Cuonzo Martin is 0-1 in head-to-head meetings with Josh Pastner.
Recent Vols-Tigers Tilts Have Been Memorable
- As outlined above, it took two overtimes to settle this season's first meeting between the Vols and Tigers ... And last season, the Volunteers had their highest point total ever in the Memphis series when they defeated the 21st-ranked Tigers 104-84 (first time in the series either team exceeded 100 points) ... It was also the most points allowed by the Tigers in a regulation game since the 1987- 88 season (112-104 loss to Virginia Tech on March 5, 1988) ... Tennessee's win over Memphis at the FedEx Forum in 2010 snapped a 23-game home win streak for the Tigers ... When the Tigers and Vols met in Memphis on Feb. 1, 2008, they were ranked Nos. 1 and 2, respectively, in the national polls ... In what was the most-watched college basketball game in ESPN history (5.28 million viewers), Tennessee toppled Memphis 66-62 to earn the program's first-ever No. 1 ranking.
In The Last Game vs. Memphis...
- Will Barton scored 17 first-half points to propel No. 8 Memphis to a 10-point halftime lead at the Maui Invitational on Nov. 22, but Tennessee rode junior forward Jeronne Maymon in the second half to force overtime, and the Vols eventually fell in double overtime by a score 99-97 on the tournament's second day ... Maymon drew national attention with his gutsy 32-point, 20-rebound performance ... He grabbed nine offensive rebounds, shot 8-of-15 from the floor and went 16-for-17 at the free-throw line ... Sophomore point guard Trae Golden added 14 points, seven assists and three steals but struggled shooting the ball, going 3-of-19 from the floor ... Junior forward Kenny Hall recorded a season-high 11 points and grabbed six boards ... Antonio Barton's jumper with 1:14 left in the second OT gave the Tigers the decisive basket after Vols junior Dwight Miller had tied the game at 97-97 on a putback with 1:31 on the clock ... Will Barton finished with 25 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Tigers ... Antonio Barton made four 3-pointers en route to 21 points ... Tigers freshman Adonis Thomas added 19 points off the bench for Memphis ... UT won the battle of the boards 49-34, had a 29-6 edge in second-chance points and scored 44 points in the paint.