Jan. 5, 2014
- This marks the first time Tennessee has ever opened SEC play by facing LSU.
- Tennessee has won four of its last five regular-season SEC road games.
- Tennessee junior Jarnell Stokes turns 20-year-old Tuesday, Jan. 7.
- Jarnell Stokes and LSU's Johnny O'Bryant have 24 and 20 career double-doubles, respectively, to rank first and second among all active SEC players.
- Wooden Award and Naismith Trophy candidate Jordan McRae averaged 19.2 points in SEC play last season. He scored 34 points in UT's home win over LSU (2/19/13).
- In two career games vs. LSU, Wooden Award and Naismith Trophy candidate, Jarnell Stokes averages 16.5 points and 9.0 rebounds.
- Only three teams in Division I average fewer turnovers per game than Tennessee (9.2 tpg).
- Tennessee leads the SEC with a 1.5 assist/turnover ratio. The Vols rank second in turnover margin (+3.1) and offensive rebounding (15.2 orpg).
- Tennessee leads the SEC and ranks 13th nationally in points per possession (1.19). However, the Vols rank last in the league and 327th nationally in possessions per game (64.4).
- Jarnell Stokes (9.2 rpg) and Jeronne Maymon (8.2 rpg) are the SEC's second- and fourth-leading rebounders, respectively.
- Vols signee Jordan Cornish is rated by ESPN.com as the No. 4 prospect in the state of Louisiana. A 6-4, 180-pound guard, Cornish attends Brother Martin High School in New Orleans.
- Jordan McRae was simply in "the zone" in leading Tennessee to its fourth win in a row, 82-72, over LSU at Thompson-Boling Arena on Feb. 19, 2013. McRae tallied a career-high 34 points, the most by a Vol in six seasons. He was perfect from 3-point range, making all six of his attempts. He hit on a career-best 13-of-18 from the floor.
- McRae's 34 points were the most since Chris Lofton tallied 35 vs. Texas on Dec. 23, 2006 (McRae went on to score 35 at Georgia 11 days later).
- Tennessee tied a school record for 3-point field goal percentage in a game (minimum 12 attempts), shooting 66.7 percent (10-of-15) from beyond the arc.
- McRae's individual effort also tied the school record set for most 3-point makes without a miss, set by JaJuan Smith in 2008 vs. Arkansas.
- The Vols' 57.4 percent shooting from the floor was their best effort in an SEC game since Jan. 14, 2010, when UT shot 60.8 percent vs. Auburn.
- Jarnell Stokes had his 11th double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
- For the third game in a row, the Vols tallied 40 points in the first half. Tennessee led LSU, 40-30 at intermission thanks to red-hot shooting (.593).
- LSU was led by forward Johnny O'Bryant III, who had 24 points and eight rebounds before fouling out.
- Give Tennessee its first true road win of the season.
- Give the Vols four wins against teams with an RPI of 75 or better according to ESPN.com.
- Give UT a six-game win streak in the series and four straight wins over the Tigers in Baton Rouge.
- Give Cuonzo Martin a perfect 3-0 record against LSU.
- The Vols rallied from a 15-point deficit to win at LSU, 74-69 in overtime on Feb. 29, 2012.
- Freshman Jarnell Stokes scored a then-career-high 18 points, shooting 9-of-10 from the floor.
- Junior Jeronne Maymon scored 14 points for his 11th game in a row in double figures.
- Rallying from 15 down marked UT's largest comeback of the season. The road win in overtime marked the first time the Vols won a road OT game since Jan. 19, 2005 at Florida (83-76).
- According to ESPN.com InsideRPI, Tuesday's LSU game is UT's sixth this season against a team with an RPI of 75 or better.
- ESPN lists the Tigers' RPI at No. 64.
- The Vols also have faced No. 16 Wichita State, No. 21 Xavier (twice), No. 31 Virginia and No. 72 Wake Forest.
Complete Game Notes