Jan. 9, 2014
- Tennessee is 1-1 in SEC home-openers under third-year head coach Cuonzo Martin. The Vols beat Florida in 2012 and fell to Ole Miss last year.
- Tennessee is riding a four-game win streak in SEC home games, dating to last February.
- The Vols also are riding a season-best four-game overall win streak this year.
- The Big Orange have never lost to Texas A&M in Knoxville, posting a perfect 3-0 record vs. the Aggies on Rocky Top.
- UT Knoxville Chancellor Dr. Jimmy G. Cheek earned his bachelor's degree with high honors (1969) and his doctorate from Texas A&M.
- Tennessee starting guards Antonio Barton (11-for-18), Jordan McRae (8-for-12) and Josh Richardson (4-for-6) are collectively shooting .639 from 3-point range over UT's last three games.
- Only nine teams in Division I average fewer turnovers per game than Tennessee (9.6 tpg).
- Tennessee ranks second in the SEC in rebounding defense (30.7 rapg), rebounding margin (+8.7) offensive rebounding (1.51 orpg) and assist/turnover ratio (1.4).
- Tennessee leads the SEC and ranks 17th nationally in points per possession (1.18).
- Jarnell Stokes (9.6 rpg) and Jeronne Maymon (7.9 rpg) are the SEC's second- and fourth-leading rebounders, respectively.
- In the longest game in Tennessee basketball history, the Vols extended their winning streak to five games with an epic 93-85 four-overtime win at Texas A&M on Feb. 23, 2013, in the first game between the teams as conference foes.
- Jarnell Stokes posted his 12th double-double of the season with 20 points and 16 rebounds. Jordan McRae scored 23.
- UT outscored A&M 14-6 in the fourth OT, including an 11-1 run to start the fourth extra session.
- Four Vols scored in double-figures, including three with 20 or more points, as Skylar McBee added 12. He also had a career-high seven boards.
- Elston Turner Jr. led the Aggies with a game-high 38 points.
- McRae forced overtime by draining a 3-pointer with 7.9 seconds left to tie the game at 69-69.
- The game was separated by one possession for the final 7:44 of regulation.
- The game also featured 10 ties and 11 lead changes.
- Tennessee's defense has been especially stingy during its four-game win streak, as the Vols are allowing just 55.0 points per game during that span.
- Over those four games, UT's opponents are shooting .345 from the field and .254 from 3-point range.
- In UT's last four games, four of the team's top five scorers are shooting 55 percent or better from the field.
- During that four-game win streak, Josh Richardson is shooting .676, reigning SEC Player of the Week Jordan McRae is shooting .647, Antonio Barton is shooting .581 and Jeronne Maymon is shooting .548.
- Tennessee is shooting .518 as a team over its last four games (.529 from 3-point range).
Complete Game Notes