Jan. 10, 2012
- In Starkville, Miss., the Tennessee-MSU series is tied a 26-26. The Vols join Kentucky as the only SEC teams who do not have an all-time losing record in Starkville.
- Mississippi State sophomore guard Jalen Steele is a Knoxville native and graduate of Fulton High School, where he was teammates with Vols freshman Galen Campbell. Steele has made 10 starts this season and is MSU's sixth-leading scorer.
- The Volunteers won their SEC opener Saturday, beating 13th-ranked Florida 67-56 in Knoxville. Tennessee held the Gators to a season-low .357 field-goal percentage and a season-low 56 points
- Forward Kenny Hall and guard Jordan McRae came off the bench for the first time all season Saturday and combined for 23 points as UT stretched its home win streak to five games.
- Tennessee is shooting .503 as a team--including a .433 shooting percentage from 3-point range--in its eight wins this season.
- On Dec. 23, five-star power forward Jarnell Stokes from Memphis, Tenn., signed with Tennessee. A consensus national top-20 prospect, Stokes will enroll for spring classes and will be eligible to play for the Vols upon clearance from the Southeastern Conference (he has been officially admitted to UT and cleared by the NCAA Eligibilty Center). Stokes turned 18-years-old Saturday.
- Tennessee boasts the SEC's most conference wins dating to the 2005-06 season (66). Kentucky is tied for second with 63 regular-season SEC wins dating to the 2005-06 season.
- Tennessee's January schedule features five games against current AP top-20 teams. Those teams boast a combined 52-11 record (.825).
The Mississippi State Series
- UT has won the last six of the last eight meetings, including an 75-59 decision in it's last trip to Starkville on MSU's Senior Day ... The series is deadlocked at 26-26 advantage when contested in Starkville ... The Vols hold a 43-10 all-time advantage when the series is played in Knoxville ... 15 of the last 20 meetings have been decided by eight points or less ... The Vols and Bulldogs have met four times in the SEC Tournament, with MSU winning three times ... The MSU series dates to the 1924 season ... UT defeated MSU 20-17 on Jan. 15, 1924, in the first meeting between the two schools.
Tatum Closing In On 1,000 Points
- Fifth-year senior Cameron Tatum is 51 points shy of becoming the 44th member of Tennessee's 1,000-Point Club ... Entering this season, the Lithonia, Ga., native averaged 7.8 ppg in 104 career games as a Vol ... He averages 9.5 ppg this year and his 949 career points place him 10th among all active SEC scorers.
Stokes Makes Practice-Court Debut
- New enrollee Jarnell Stokes, a 6-8, 250-pound power forward from Memphis, Tenn., practiced with the Vols for the first time Monday ... After graduating from high school early (December), he signed with UT on Dec. 23 ... Though he has sat on the Vols' bench for the last two games, Stokes has not yet dressed out ... Head coach Cuonzo Martin said Stokes is not likely to play this week.