Jan. 12, 2009
1. Who among the current Vols do you believe can develop into a consistent three-point shooter?
A - "I believe we have a number of them. Cameron Tatum had several good looks at Georgia and made one toward the end that tied the game. Tyler Smith's shooting will get better as we go along. There's Bobby Maze, Scotty Hopson and Wayne Chism. They can hit threes, and I believe our team percentages will go up as we move along on the season."
2. Have the Vols shown progress toward reaching the defensive goals you have set for them?
A - "In our four losses we did not play defense well enough. But in our victories, except maybe Georgetown, we have held our opponents to a low percentage. Georgia was in the low 40s. If we keep their percentages low, we can win some games.
3. Comment on the significance of the Kentucky series as you prepare for Tuesday's (9:00E) game.
A - "Who are Kentucky's rivals. They have Indiana, Louisville, Florida and North Carolina, among others. I told our team nobody has beaten us more than Kentucky. Every program is judged by how they do against Kentucky."
4. How much improvement has Kentucky made since the start of the season?
A - "They have improved a great deal. Right now Jody Meeks and Patrick Patterson are among the top five players in the SEC. Remember: Kentucky is still Kentucky. They still get their pick of players. Probably only Scotty Hopson and Tyler Smith second time around were recruited by Kentucky. Everybody they have is there because he was one of the best high school players in the country
5. How is South Carolina, Saturday's (6:00E) foe, coming along under first-year coach Darrin Horn?
A - "I think South Carolina is doing well. Great guard player. Veteran guard play. They brought a lot of guys back from a year ago. They got one of the best wins in the conference on the road when they beat Baylor."