Jan. 13, 2012
- Exactly 62 years ago, on Jan. 14, 1950, an unranked Tennessee squad defeated second-ranked Kentucky 66-53 in Knoxville.
- Tennessee is 13-8 all-time on Jan. 14 and won its last game on this date ... UT is 2-1 vs. Kentucky on Jan. 14 ... The Vols' last game on this date was an 81-55 home win over Auburn in 2010.
- Cuonzo Martin and Darius Miller were a part of the USA Basketball squad that competed at the World University Games in Shenzen, China, last summer.
- Tennessee currently ranks eighth nationally in average home attendance (16,080). That average likely will increase over the next week, as UT's next two home opponents are Kentucky and UConn. The Vols are riding a streak of five consecutive seasons with a national top-five finish in attendance.
- The Vols have faced Kentucky when the Wildcats were ranked No. 2 in the AP poll 19 times. The Wildcats own a 13-6 edge in those games, but the Vols have a 5-4 edge in Knoxville.
- New enrollee Jarnell Stokes, a 6-8, 250-pound power forward from Memphis, Tenn., practiced with the Vols for the first time Monday and dressed for UT's game at Mississippi State Thursday night ... After graduating from high school early (December), the consensus national top-20 prosprect signed with UT on Dec. 23 ... He received final eligibility clearance Thursday afternoon and is waiting to make his debut as a Vol. .
- The Vols scored 119 total points in two games against Kentucky last season ... Only 19 of those points were scored by players still on Tennessee's roster--so 84 percent of UT's offense vs. Kentucky from last season is gone.
- First-year Tennessee assistant coach Tracy Webster spent two seasons (2008-09) on Billy Gillispie's Kentucky staff.
The Kentucky Series
- This will be the 213th all-time meeting in the series ... Kentucky leads 146-66 ... The Wildcats have won three straight over the Vols ... Kentucky leads the series 50-46 when played in Knoxville ... The Wildcats hold an 85-16 advantage when playing in Lexington ... Tennessee's 66 wins against the Wildcats are more than any other Kentucky opponent ... Kentucky's 146 wins against Tennessee are the most of any opponent ... The Kentucky series is UT's oldest and most-played among SEC opponents ... The Vols and Wildcats first met on Feb. 5, 1910 ... This is Cuonzo Martin's first time facing UK at any level (player or coach).
Vols To Face 17 2012 NBA Draft Picks in January
- According to the website NBADraft.net, Tennessee will face 17 players--just during the month of January--who are projected to be selected in June's NBA Draft ... Put another way: this month, the Vols will oppose 28 percent of this summer's draftees ... To see the complete list, visit: nbadraft.net/2012mock_draft.
Projected Starters `Green' In Big Blue Rivalry
- Only one of Tennessee's projected starters averages more than 11 minutes per game against Kentucky during their respective careers (Cameron Tatum averages 19.0 mpg vs. UK) ... Point guard Trae Golden has played a total of just 18 minutes and is scoreless in two career games vs. the Wildcats ... Forward Jeronne Maymon has faced Kentucky only once and scored one point in 11 minutes ... Forward Renaldo Woolridge has two points in four career games vs. the Cats, and Josh Richardson is a true freshman new to the rivalry.