Jan. 20, 2012
- Saturday is the Tennessee men's program's "We Back Pat" game.
- This is the second time Tennessee has played UConn when the Huskies were the defending national champions. The first-ever meeting in the series took place the season following UConn's 1999 national title.
- The Vols have 10 all-time wins against the defending national champion. See the "Dangerous Foe" note on Page 3 of Tennessee's game notes below for a breakdown of the last eight such games, in which UT is 6-2.
- At Thompson-Boling Arena, UT is 3-1 against the defending NCAA champion, with an average margin of victory of 7.2 points.
- Cuonzo Martin has no previous head-to-head coaching meetings with Jim Calhoun. But Martin's mentor, Gene Keady, led Purdue to a perfect 3-0 record against Calhoun's Huskies.
- UT has already faced two coaches this year who have won multiple national titles (Krzyzewski, Donovan).
- Huskies redshirt freshman Michael Bradley was a McDonald's All-America nominee as a senior in 2010 at Tyner Academy in Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Saturday's game is one of eight games the Vols will play this season against teams that were picked to win their respective conference. Tennessee is 2-4 in those games thus far.
We Back Pat
- The Tennessee Athletic Department is asking fans attending Saturday's game to wear the official "We Back Pat" shirt ... Shirts are available in the UT Bookstore, the University Center and Stokely Athletics Center stores, as well as area Food City and Walgreens stores ... They can also be purchased online at the UT campus web store ... The shirts are $10, with $4.25 of every shirt going to research ... UT athletic director Dave Hart: "From the beginning, the goal of the `We Back Pat' campaign has been to give fans the opportunity to demonstrate a unified effort of support for coach Summitt while generating exposure and funding for early onset dementia and Alzheimer's services and research."
Pat & Tyler Summitt Start Foundation
- After sharing her diagnosis of dementia in late August, Lady Vol coach Pat Summitt, along with her son, Tyler (a walk-on guard for the Vols), formed a foundation to fund grants in support of Alzheimer's programs. ... The Pat Summitt Foundation Fund (www.patsummitt.org), was announced Nov. 27 ... The aim of the Foundation is to make grants to non-profit organizations which provide education and awareness of Alzheimer's, its onset and treatment; support services to patients, their families and caregivers, and research to treat, prevent, cure and ultimately eradicate the disease.
Martin's Boilermakers Beat UConn In 1992
- When Cuonzo Martin was a sophomore at Purdue, the Boilermakers opened the 1992-93 season by facing 16th-ranked UConn on Nov. 28, 1992, in the Hall of Fame Tipoff Classic at the Springfileld Civic Center in Springfield, Mass. ... A starter along with Glenn Robinson and current Purdue head coach Matt Painter, Martin totaled 12 points, seven rebounds, three assists and a steal while playing 37 minutes ... Purdue posted a 73-69 win against a Huskies squad that featured Donyell Marhsall and four other future NBA standouts.