Jan. 23, 2012
- In SEC play, Vandy and UT rank first and second, respectively, in scoring defense (59.0 and 60.0 ppg)
- Tennessee's win over defending national champion UConn Saturday was the program's 1,499th alltime victory. Tuesday's contest at Vanderbilt is UT's first opportunity to reach the 1,500-win milestone.
- Through the games of Jan. 23, the Vols rank third in the SEC in 3-point percentage (.367), 3-pointers made (7.6 pg) while ranking fourth assists (13.5 apg).
- Jeronne Maymon ranks third in the SEC in field-goal percentage (.553) and fifth in offensive rebounding (3.1 orpg) while ranking sixth in total rebounding (7.7 rpg).
- Tennessee's SEC opponents are shooting a league-low .258 from 3-point range this season.
- The Vols have held three elite teams to their lowest scoring output of the season. Tennessee held Florida to 56 points, Kentucky to 65 points and UConn to 57 points. In their last five games, the Vols are holding their opponents to an average of 59.4 points (four of those opponents were ranked).
- Just three games into his college career, freshman power forward Jarnell Stokes already averages clost to a double-double with 12.0 points and a team-high 8.0 rebounds per game. Stokes was named the SEC Freshman of the Week on Jan. 23.
- UT ranks 49th nationally with 4.7 blocks per game. Interestingly, 45.6 percent of those blocks are by guards and 35.6 percent are by freshmen.
The Vanderbilt Series
- Tennessee and Vanderbilt will meet for the 180th time Tuesday ... The Volunteers lead the all-time series 110-69, dating to 1922 and have won six of the last 10 meetings ... UT's 110 wins over the Dores are the most by the Vols over any opponent, and only Kentucky (212 games) has been an opponent of the Vols more times than Vanderbilt ... UT leads the series 67-17 when playing in Knoxville ... Vanderbilt leads 50-36 when it is played on the Commodores' home court ... UT and VU have played every season since their first meeting in 1922 except for the WWII years of 1944 and 1945 ... UT is 11-5 in the city of Nashville since 2005-06.
Steals Key To Last Season's Win At Vandy
- Tennessee's 15 steals at Vanderbilt last season were its most in an SEC contest in more than two years ... The Vols also logged 15 steals against the Commodores on Feb. 14, 2009, in a 69-50 victory at Thompson- Boling Arena ... In Memorial Gym last season, 21 of UT's points came off of Vanderbilt turnovers ... Three Vols recorded at least three steals in the game.
Ray Mears' Coat of Armor
- Included in Ray Mears' legendary pregame repertoire was the wearing of his Big Orange blazer in Vandy's Memorial Gym. As he strolled around the court before games, Vandy fans would often pelt Mears with oranges. When asked why he never even flinched, Mears replied, "They can't hurt me in my coat of armor."