Jan. 23, 2014
- On 11 separate occasions, an unranked Tennessee team has beaten a Florida squad ranked in the Associated Press top 25.
- And on eight occasions, the Vols have beaten a Florida team that was ranked in the Associated Press top 10.
- The last time the Volunteers faced the Gators in Gainesville (2/11/12), Tennessee upset No. 8 Florida, 75-70, ending the Gators' home-winning streak at 19.
- Last season was the first since 1962-63 that the Vols didn't play at Florida.
- In three career games vs. Florida, Jordan McRae averages 16.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.3 blocks. He shoots .486 from the field against the Gators. UT has won all three games.
- Jordan McRae's season-high 34 points Wednesday vs. Arkansas pushed him past LSU guard Andre Stringer and into second place on the SEC's active career scoring list (1,175 points).
- Vols junior Jarnell Stokes ranks eighth nationally in offensive rebounding, with 4.11 orpg.
- Florida senior Patric Young is the SEC's active career leader for rebounds, with 715. Vols junior Jarnell Stokes ranks second with 618 boards.
- Jordan McRae continued his torrid stretch with 27 points in leading Tennessee to a 64-58 victory over No. 8 Florida in front of a crowd of 19,567 at Thompson-Boling Arena Feb. 26, 2013.
- Tennessee won its sixth game in a row for its longest win streak in SEC games since 2008, when UT won eight straight conference games
- Cuonzo Martin moved to 3-0 all-time against Billy Donovan, winning all three games at Tennessee and all over ranked Florida teams. In 2012, UT knocked off the Gators when they were ranked 13th and 8th.
- Tennessee's defense, held the Gators to their fewest points of the season, equaling the 58 points UF scored against Savannah State.
- Jarnell Stokes had a tough night offensively, but his last field goal was perhaps the biggest of the game, as he finished a 3-point play with 54.5 seconds left and put the Vols ahead by three possessions, 61-54. Stokes also grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds.
- Tennessee outrebounded Florida, 41-31.
- Tennessee led 35-32 at intermission behind a monster first half from McRae, who had 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting. UT scored the final seven points of the first half to take their first lead since 2-0.
- Florida tried to make a last-minute charge, but a drawn charge by Tennessee's Josh Richardson on Mike Rosario with 28.3 seconds left gave the Vols the ball. Trae Golden made a free throw seconds later to give the Vols a 62-56 lead.
- Rosario led the Gators in scoring with 16. Patric Young chipped in 15.
- The legendary Bernard King recorded the third-best scoring performance in school history with a 43-point, 20-rebound effort as the Vols topped the Gators 93-84 on January 17, 1976, in Stokely Athletics Center.
- During the 1983-84 season, Willie Burton averaged 16.7 points, 9.3 rebounds, 2.0 assists and shot .500 (17-of-34) from the floor against the Gators. UT was 3-0 vs. Florida that season.
- Dane Bradshaw's breakaway layup with 20.1 seconds to play proved to be the winning basket as the Vols upset second-ranked Florida 80-76 in Knoxville on Jan. 21, 2006.
- The Vols upset fifth-ranked Florida 86-76 on Senior Day in Knoxville behind Chris Lofton's 21 points on Feb. 27, 2007. ESPN College GameDay broadcast live from Rocky Top, Peyton Manning addressed the Vols in the locker room before the game, and Pat Summitt donned cheerleader garb and led the sold-out crowd in a rendition of Rocky Top during a media timeout.
- Florida head coach Billy Donovan won a pair of national championships and has won 72 percent of his games in 18 seasons with the Gators.
- Tennessee however, owns a winning record against Donovan's Gators teams, as he is 16-18 against the Volunteers.
Complete Game Notes