Jan. 26, 2009
Bruce Pearl's Monday Press Conference - 1/26
1. To what do you attribute the Vols' improvement defensively against Vanderbilt and Memphis?
A - "I think we are using our size and length better to our advantage. We are extending the defense, and it is helping us."
2. Has setting the three-point line back had a big effect on scoring in college basketball?
A - "Nationally the numbers are down. For us, it is way down. I think that has more to do with our personnel than the change in the length of the shot. I look for percentages to improve as the season goes along."
3. How important is it that the Vols pull off home-court wins in SEC games with LSU and Florida?
A - "This week will go a long way toward determining if we can defend our championship or not. LSU is up there as a favorite in the Western Division. Florida is playing great basketball. They had 15 threes against Vanderbilt Sunday."
4. Tell about the LSU Tigers, who come to Knoxville Wednesday (8:00E) under new coach Trent Johnson.
A - "Trent Johnson is a very good coach. He's had great success, including at Stanford. They've got a lot of seniors and a lot of experience."
5. Tell about the progress of Florida, which visits Thompson-Boling Arena Saturday (9:00E).
A - "It will be a great atmosphere Saturday night. Florida is playing good basketball, especially on the offensive end. They can put five guys on the floor who can shoot the basketball."