Jan. 27, 2014
- According to ESPN's InsideRPI, Tennessee is one of three SEC teams boasting top-10 status in overall "strength of schedule. Alabama is rated second, Kentucky is seventh and UT is 10th.
- In SEC play, Tennessee owns the league's best rebounding defense (29.8 rapg) and rebounding margin (+10.0 rpg). Ole Miss and Tennessee each average exactly 14.0 offensive rebounds per game in league play (T-3rd).
- In his only previous visit to Thompson-Boling Arena (1/9/13), Ole Miss sharpshooter Marshall Henderson scored 32 points to lead the Rebels to their first win in Knoxville since 1991.
- Jordan McRae (18.5 ppg) and Marshall Henderson (18.7 ppg) combine to average 37.2 ppg this season. That's more than half the total scoring offense of 242 Division I teams.
- Vols senior Jordan McRae averages 17.8 ppg in four career games vs. Ole Miss. He scored 26 points in each meeting last season.
- In two career games vs. Ole Miss, Vols forward Jeronne Maymon is 9-of-13 (.692) from the field, 11-of-15 (.733) from the foul line and averages 14.5 points and 14.0 rebounds.
- UT's starting frontcourt of Jarnell Stokes (80) and Jeronne Maymon (70) have combined for 150 offensive rebounds this season (7.89 orpg).
- Vols junior Jarnell Stokes ranks sixth nationally in offensive rebounding, with 4.21 orpg.
- Tennessee led for much of the game, but No. 23 Ole Miss scored nine of the final 12 points to pull out a 62-56 victory Jan. 24, 2013, in Oxford, Miss.
- The Vols posted a season-high 19 assists (on 28 baskets).
- The SEC's top two scorers dueled it out, with Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson scoring 24 of of his game-high 28 points in the second half. Tennessee's Jordan McRae tied his then-career-high with 26 points for the third time in six games.
- With the game tied at 53 with just over four minutes left, Henderson knocked down on a 3-pointer to put the Rebels up 56-53. Then Ole Miss converted a UT turnover in a fastbreak layup by Reginald Buckner with 3:40 left giving Ole Miss a 58-53 lead.
- McRae tied his previous career-high on a 3-pointer with 3:15 left, making it 58-56 Ole Miss. He had a chance to tie the game with 2:32 left, but missed a pair of free throws. Tennessee could have tied the game again with 1:01 left after McRae drew and offensive foul, but Armani Moore missed two more free throws.
- The Vols led 25-18 at halftime, limiting the Rebels to their fewest points in any half this season (the previous low was 29). Tennessee's defense held Ole Miss to just 4-of-23 from the floor for 17.4 percent. Henderson was limited to four points, all on free throws. He was 0-of-4 from the floor.
- UT outrebounded the Rebels 26-15 in the first half and outscored Ole Miss 16-4 in the paint.
- Tennessee's Jordan McRae and Ole Miss' Marshall Henderson were roommates at the 2013 Kevin Durant Academy in Washington, D.C., this past June.
- McRae told reporters over the summer: "He's one of the most normal guys I've ever met, surprisingly. (He wasn't) jumping around the room. He's just normal. I was laying on the bed on my phone, and he walked in. Everybody, even myself, when I'm off the court, I'm totally different (from) when I'm on. That's just a part of it."
- Sophomore guard Armani Moore logged just 14 total minutes of court time in the seven contests leading up to Tennessee's Jan. 18 game at Kentucky (including four DNPs).
- But in UT's last three games, Moore is averaging 17.0 minutes off the bench, and he is the Vols' fourth-leading scorer during that span (5.0 ppg).
- In those three games, the Kennesaw, Ga., native is shooting 50 percent overall, and he is a perfect 4-for-4 at the free-throw line. He also has four blocked shots.
- Moore earned his increased role via his toughness and physical style of play.
- Brandon Wharton scored 20 points, Rashard Lee added 17 and 10 rebounds, Isiah Victor poured in 16 points and C.J. Black totaled 15 and 13 rebounds as UT upset the 11th-ranked Rebels 77-67 in Knoxville on Jan. 17, 1998.
- Gene Tormohlen grabbed 31 rebounds at Ole Miss on Feb. 11, 1957, to lift UT to a 98-88 win in Oxford. The 31 boards still stand as the second-best single-game effort in school history.
- Carlus Groves went 11-for-12 (.917) from the floor, the fourth-best single-game average in UT annals, against the Rebels to lift Tennessee to a 98-86 win in Knoxville on Feb. 19, 1992.
- Jeronne Maymon grabbed an incredible 10 offensive rebounds as part of an 11-point, 17-rebound effort against Ole Miss in the SEC Tournament last season in Nashville. Despite 21 points from Trae Golden and 15 from Skylar McBee, the Vols fell in overtime, 77-72.
Complete Game Notes