Feb. 6, 2014
- Another double-double by Jarnell Stokes and clutch 3-pointers by Jordan McRae and Skylar McBee lifted the Vols to their first road win last season, 66-61, at South Carolina Feb. 10, 2013.
- Stokes recorded his fifth consecutive double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. That included five offensive rebounds, including two crucial boards in the final minutes. It was Stokes' second-career 20-point game and ninth double-double of the season.
- The win was UT's 12 straight victory over South Carolina, including six in a row in Columbia.
- UT sophomore guard Josh Richardson did a great job defending USC's Bruce Ellington, limiting him to just six points.
- The game featured 12 ties, and the lead changed hands 16 times. Neither team led by more than seven points all afternoon.
- McRae picked a great time for his first basket of the game after missing his first five shots. He knocked down a 3-pointer with 3:30 left to give the Vols a 58-57 lead. That basket gave the Vols the lead for good.
- South Carolina was led by Michael Carrera, who had a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Brian Richardson tallied 14 points.
- On Dec. 6, 1969, unranked UT strolled into Columbia and upset the No. 1-ranked Gamecocks 55-54 thanks to 20 points from Jimmy England, and double-doubles by Don Johnson (18 pts, 12 rebs) and Bobby Croft (12 pts, 13 rebs).
- A two-overtime thriller in Columbia saw Carolina pull out a 111-107 win on Feb. 10, 1993, despite 20-point efforts from Allan Houston (29), Lang Wiseman (26) and Corey Allen (22).
- Wayne Chism scored 23 points, JaJuan Smith added 19 and Tyler Smith had 13, but it was Chris Lofton's 25-footer with 12.0 seconds remaining that lifted the Vols to an 89-87 win over South Carolina in the 2008 SEC Tournament in Atlanta on March 14, 2008.
- 2011 first-team All-SEC performer Scotty Hopson had a bright career against South Carolina, owning a sterling 6-0 record against the Gamecocks. Hopson threw down a posterizing dunk in the 2011 Knoxville win that placed fourth in the CBS Dunk of the Year Contest.
- Dr. Ed Wiener, who is Tennessee's 2014 SEC Basketball Legend, is scheduled to attend Saturday's game.
- Wiener will be recognized at midcourt during a timeout.
- Wiener will be honored, along with the league's 13 other legends, at the SEC Tournament in Atlanta in March.
- Tennessee is riding an active 12-game win streak over South Carolina dating to 2007.
- No player on Tennessee's roster has ever experienced losing to the Gamecocks.
- UT's average margin of victory during the streak is 12.3 points (76.8 ppg to 64.5 ppg).
- This current streak over South Carolina is tied as UT's third-longest win streak over any SEC opponent -- including former league members.
- The Vols have had a 17-game win streak over Mississippi State and a 15-game win streak over Georgia.
- Saturday's game will give fans in Knoxville their first opportunity to see Cuonzo Martin and Frank Martin's teams duel it out in Thompson-Boling Arena.
- South Carolina did not visit Knoxville last season (for the first time since 1990-91), which was Frank Martin's first year with Gamecocks.
- For the previous 21 years, the teams had been SEC Eastern Division rivals. As such, they played a home-and-home series every season. That changed when the SEC introduced its new 18-game, non-divisional scheduling format last year.
Complete Game Notes