Feb. 7, 2012
TENNESSEE vs. SOUTH CAROLINA
Wednesday, Feb. 8 | 8 p.m. ET
Thompson-Boling Arena | Knoxville
VOLS HOST GAMECOCKS
- Tennessee has a nine-game win streak over South Carolina, which is UT's longest active win streak over any SEC opponent as well as the longest win streak in the series by either team.
- The Gamecocks are 0-9 in their last nine trips to Thompson-Boling Arena. Their last win in Knoxville was a 94-60 victory on Jan. 23, 2002. Tennessee owns a 22-7 edge in the series on Rocky Top.
- The Vols have won seven of their last eight games in Thompson-Boling Arena.
- Junior guard Skylar McBee made his first career start Saturday and scored 10 points.
- Tennessee currently ranks fifth nationally in average home attendance (17,378). The Vols are riding a streak of six consecutive seasons with a national top-five finish in attendance.
- UT assistant coach Jon Harris played under head coach Tom Crean at Marquette from 1999-2002. During Harris' last three seasons as a Golden Eagle, current South Carolina head coach Darrin Horn was a Marquette assistant coach. Crean is now the head coach at Indiana.
- Tennessee is currently listed at No. 105 in the Sagarin Ratings, with the nation's 33rd SOS.
- Senior guard Cameron Tatum is just six points shy of scoring his 1,000th career point. He will become the 44th all-time member of UT's 1,000 Point Club.
The Carolina Series
- Tennessee leads the all-time series 35-23 ... The Vols have won 22 of the last 30 meetings between the schools ... When the series is played in Knoxville, the Vols own a 22-7 advantage ... South Carolina leads the series 14-11 when it is played in Columbia ... Tennessee and South Carolina met for the first time on Jan 15, 1927, in Columbia ... The teams played off-and-on between the 1927 and 1972 seasons but did not play from 1972 until 1988 when the series was renewed ... UT's current nine-game win streak is the longest in the series by either team, and the Vols also have won nine straight over the Gamecocks in Knoxville.
TBA Rims Providing Friendly Bounce
- At home this season, Tennessee is shooting .462 as a team ... And nine of UT's top 11 scorers this season are shooting better than .420 on Rocky Top ... Jarnell Stokes (.615) and Jeronne Maymon (.613) have the team's best field-goal percentage in home games ... Even UT's guards are shooting at a high level at home: Trae Golden (.449), Skylar McBee (.427), Josh Richardson (.457).
Defense Shines in SEC Games
- Overall this season, Tennessee ranks ninth in the SEC in scoring defense (65.9 ppg) ... But in SEC games, the Vols have jumped all the way up to second in the league in scoring defense, allowing just 60.6 ppg.