Feb. 17, 2012
- Tennessee was picked by the media to finish 11th in the Southeastern Conference this season. With five conference games left to play, the Vols are tied for fourth in the league with a 6-5 SEC record.
- Junior guard Skylar McBee has scored at least 10 points in four of UT's last five games, and he has started each of the last three contests. Tennessee is 9-0 when McBee scores in double figures.
- In SEC play, junior forward Jeronne Maymon leads the Vols in scoring (13.7 ppg), rebounding (8.4 rpg) and field-goal percentage (.542). His nine steals in SEC games rank second on the team.
- UT has held five of its 11 SEC opponents thus far to fewer than 60 points. In SEC home games, Tennessee is holding its foes to 57.8 points per game while going 4-1.
- Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin was an assistant coach on the 2011 USA Basketball Men's World University Games Team, which included Alabama forward JaMychal Green.
- Alabama assistant coach Tony Pujol got his start in college coaching as an assistant under current UT director of basketball operations Houston Fancher when Fancher was the head coach at Appalachian State. Pujol worked for Fancher for two seasons (2004-06) before joining Anthony Grant at VCU.
- The Vols are shooting .503 as a team, and .434 from 3-point range, during their four-game win streak. Over the last four games, Tennessee is outscoring its opponents by 11.8 ppg.
- The Vols have played an SEC-high nine ranked opponents this season, going 3-6.
The Alabama Series
- Tennessee and Alabama will meet for the 139th time Saturday ... The Vols trail the all-time series with Bama 73-65, dating to 1914 ... Alabama is one of only two SEC schools (along with Kentucky) to lead its all-time series with the Vols ... Tennessee holds a commanding 44-21 advantage when playing in Knoxville ... In Tuscaloosa, the Tide holds a 41-17 edge but the Vols have won each of the last two ... UT won the first-ever meeting, 49-13, between the two schools on Feb. 6, 1914 ... The Tennessee-Alabama rivalry is UT's third-oldest in the SEC ... Only Tennessee's series with Kentucky (1910) and Georgia (1913) pre-date it.
Tuscaloosa Tough on the Vols
- Tennessee owns a 17-41 record against Alabama in Tuscaloosa ... UT was winless in Tuscaloosa from 1982-96 ... While wins have historically been hard to come by in that city, the Vols have managed wins in each of their last two trips.
Top 26 RPI Wins in Rare Company
- There are only nine Division I teams who have more wins over teams in the top 26 of the current NCAA RPI than Tennessee (3) ... UConn is rated No. 21, and Florida is rated No. 26.