Feb. 20, 2014
- Tennessee leads the all-time series with Texas A&M 5-2, dating to 1951. In College Station, the series is tied at 1-1 (both games were played at Reed Arena).
- Third-year UT head coach Cuonzo Martin owns a 2-1 record in head-to-head meetings against Aggies head coach Billy Kennedy. Martin's 2010-11 Missouri State squad eliminated Kennedy's Murray State team from the NIT in 2011.
- Saturday marks just the third meeting between the programs since Texas A&M joined the SEC.
- Antwan Space hit a 3-pointer with 4.4 seconds left in the game to give Texas A&M a stunning 57-56 win Jan. 11 at Thompson-Boling Arena.
- Space's 3-pointer gave the Aggies their first lead since scoring the game's opening basket.
- The Aggies took advantage of two missed free throws by Jeronne Maymon with 17 seconds left as Jordan Green grabbed the rebound for the Aggies. That set the stage for Space's trifecta, just his second field goal of the game, coming off a feed from Alex Caruso.
- Jordan McRae raced down the court, but his desperation 3-pointer grazed the front of the rim and the crowd of 18,079 went home disappointed.
- Jamal Jones led all scorers with a career-high 23 points for the Aggies. Caruso chipped in with 12 points and eight assists.
- The Vols were led by Antonio Barton, who had 12 points. Josh Richardson added 11 for the only other double-figure scorer. Maymon grabbed 15 rebounds and scored nine points.
- Up by 14 at the half, Tennessee saw its lead dwindle to two with four minutes left in the game before consecutive buckets by Maymon and Richardson regained a two-possession lead with 2:21 left on the clock, 54-48.
- Tennessee took control late in the first half with a 15-6 spurt to lead 32-18 at intermission. The Aggies missed their final 10 field goals of the half, as they didn't make a basket for the last 9:34 of the first half.
- Tennessee held Texas A&M to just 18 points and 25 percent shooting from the floor over the first 20 minutes
- It was Texas A&M's first game in Knoxville as a member of the SEC.
- Saturday marks just Tennessee's 12th all-time game in the state of Texas. The Vols are 5-6 in The Lone Star State.
- The Vols have previous appearances in the following cities: Austin (1-1), College Station (1-1), Dallas (1-0), El Paso (1-1), Houston (1-2), San Antonio (0-1).
- In the longest game in Tennessee basketball history, the Vols posted an epic 93-85 four-overtime win at Texas A&M Feb. 23, 2013, in the first game between the teams as conference foes. Trae Golden tallied 32 points for the Vols, while Jarnell Stokes totaled 20 points and 16 rebounds, and Jordan McRae scored 23.
- Tony White posted the highest points total by a Vol in the series when he scored 34 vs. the Aggies in an 88-70 UT home win on Dec. 7, 1985.
- Herb Neff (13 pts, 14 rebs) and Charlie Hipsher (11 pts, 12 rebs) each logged double-doubles for Tennessee as the Vols downed Texas A&M 60-52 in the first-ever meeting between the programs on Dec. 15, 1951, in Knoxville.
- Houston native Brandon Crump averaged 16.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in two career games against the Aggies. His three blocks against A&M during an 83-66 loss in College Station on Dec. 4, 2002, are the most by a Vol in the series.
Complete Game Notes