March 7, 2012
vs. Ole MissSEC Tournament // Quarterfinal
New Orleans Arena // New Orleans, La.
Friday // 7:30 p.m. ET // TV: SEC Network
VOLS READY FOR SEC TOURNEY
- Tennessee was picked by the media to finish 11th in the Southeastern Conference this season but went 10-6 in league play to tie for second place and earn a No. 2 seed in the SEC Tournament.
- The Vols won 13 of their last 14 home games and have won eight of their last nine overall. Only two other UT teams in the modern era have won eight of nine to end the regular season (1967 and 2008).
- This year's squad is one of just 16 teams in program history (103 years) that lost one or fewer games during the month of February. The Vols went 7-1 in February, with the lone setback coming at Alabama.
- The Vols enter the postseason one victory shy of matching last season's wins total and two victories shy of posting the program's 24th all-time 20-win campaign. Cuonzo Martin has two 20-win seasons in three previous years as a head coach.
- Tennessee finished the regular season ranked fifth nationally in average home attendance (17,411). The Vols now have a streak of seven consecutive seasons with a national top-five finish in attendance.
- The Vols have won five of their last six SEC Tournament games against teams that used to comprise the Western Division. Tennessee was 4-2 against those teams during this regular season.
- Blue Ribbon named Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin SEC co-Coach of the Year.
- Junior forward Jeronne Maymon earned second-team All-SEC honors from the league's head coaches, while forward Jarnell Stokes was named to the SEC All-Freshman Team.
Gene Tormohlen Named UT's SEC Legend
- Former Vols center Gene Tormohlen (1956-59) has been selected as Tennessee's SEC Legend and will be honored as such at the SEC Tournament ... Tormohlen was a 1959 Converse first-team All-America performer and a two-time consensus first-team All-Southeastern Conference honoree ... Considered Tennessee's first accomplished big man, he holds virtually all Tennessee's career (1,113 rebounds; 16.9 rpg) and single-season (384 rebounds in 1957-58; 17.7 rpg in 1958-59) rebounding records ... Tormohlen led UT in scoring two seasons and finished his Big Orange career with 1,020 points ... He was drafted by Syracuse in the second round of the 1959 NBA Draft ... After playing nine season professionally, he spent 12 seasons as an assistant coach in the NBA and was an NBA scout for several years after that (most recently for the Los Angeles Lakers) ... A native of Holland, Ind., Tormohlen is a member of the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame.
Tennessee In The SEC Tournament
- The Vols are 60-47 all-time in the SEC Tournament ... Since the tournament was renewed in 1979, the Vols are 25-32 ... Tennessee's four SEC Tournament titles are the third-most of any league member ... Only Kentucky (27) and Alabama (6) have won the tournament more times ... Only Kentucky (117 wins) has more SEC Tournament victories. ... UT's .561 winning percentage in the SEC tourney is third-best in the league ... Since 2005, Tennessee is 7-7 in the SEC Tournament and 6-3 vs. teams that used to comprise the Western Division.
Examining UT's Side Of The Bracket
- Tennessee was 4-3 this season against the teams on its side of the SEC Tournament bracket ... The Vols lost at Mississippi State, defeated Ole Miss and Auburn (both at home) and split with Georgia and Vanderbilt (winning at home, losing on the road).