March 11, 2014
- If the Vols win Friday, they will play the first semifinal game Saturday at 1 p.m. ET on ABC.
- For the second time in head coach Cuonzo Martin's three seasons at Tennessee, the Vols finished the regular season on a four-game win streak.
- Senior guard Jordan McRae and junior forward Jarnell Stokes were named to the coaches All-SEC first team. The duo also earned USBWA All-District IV honors.
- Junior guard Josh Richardson was placed on the SEC All-Defensive Team by the league's head coaches.
- This is the 14th time the SEC Tournament has been held in Atlanta and the 11th time it has been played at the Georgia Dome.
- UT owns a 5-9 (.357) all-time record in the Georgia Dome, with all those contests taking place in the SEC Tournament.
- The Vols have not won the SEC Tournament since 1979 in Birmingham, Ala. Current Vol Network radio analyst Bert Bertelkamp was a member of that team.
- Cuonzo Martin is 4-5 in conference tournaments as a head coach (three MVC Tournaments and two SEC Tournaments).
- Tennessee has not trailed in its last four games (160 total minutes).
- This is UT's 24th all-time 20-win season and the second 20-win campaign under third-year coach Cuonzo Martin.
- According to ESPN's InsideRPI, Tennessee owns an RPI of No. 46 and has the 15th toughest strength-of-schedule (as of March 11).
- The Vols join Florida, Kentucky and Georgia as the only SEC teams with four or more road wins in conference play this season.
- Tennessee finished 12th nationally in average home attendance with an average of 15,475.
- Jarnell Stokes is the reigning co-SEC Player of the Week, his fifth career SEC weekly award.
- The Vols are 61-49 (.555) all-time in the SEC Tournament.
- Since the tournament was renewed in 1979, the Vols are 26-34 (.433).
- Tennessee's four SEC Tournament titles are the third-most of any league member.
- Only Kentucky (27) and Alabama (6) have won the SEC Tournament more times than Tennessee.
- Only Kentucky (119 wins) has more SEC Tournament victories than the Vols.
- UT's .555 winning percentage in the SEC Tournament is third-best in the league.
- The Vols own a 9-13 SEC Tournament record in the city of Atlanta.
- Give the Vols a five-game win streak, its longest of the season.
- Put the Vols in the SEC Tournament semifinals for the first time since 2010 (lost to Kentucky in Nashville).
- Give Cuonzo Martin's Vols a 9-5 record in March.
- Tennessee has been the No. 4 seed in the SEC Tournament just twice previously, going 0-2 (1980 and 1990).
- The Vols lost to Ole Miss in the 1980 SEC Tournament in Birmingham, Ala.
- The fourth-seeded Vols also lost to Ole Miss in the 1990 SEC Tournament in Orlando, Fla.
- The SEC had just 10 teams in each of those years.
- Wayne Chism scored 23, JaJuan Smith added 19 and Tyler Smith put in 13, but it was Chris Lofton's 25-footer with 12.0 seconds remaining that lifted the Vols to an 89-87 win over South Carolina in the 2008 SEC Tournament in Atlanta on March 14, 2008.
- Carlus Groves went 9-for-10 from the floor, scoring 22 points, to lift Tennessee to an 87-70 upset win over No. 18 Mississippi State in the quarterfinals of the 1991 SEC Tournament in Nashville.
- It took Tony White 45 minutes to put 30 on Florida, including five points in overtime, as the Vols beat the Gators, 80-74, in the first round of the 1984 SEC Tournament in Nashville.
- Tennessee topped Kentucky, the third time UT beat the Wildcats that year, in the championship game of the 1979 SEC Tournament in Birmingham, Ala. The Vols prevailed 75-69 in overtime on March 3, 1979.
- Tennessee was 4-5 against the six teams on its side of the SEC Tournament bracket.
- The Vols won their lone regular-season meetings with Arkansas, Auburn, and South Carolina.
- Tennessee split its home-and-home series with Missouri and was swept by Texas A&M and top-ranked SEC Champion Florida.
- Tennessee's three major athletic programs own a combined 9-16 (.360) record at the Georgia Dome.
- In addition to the men's basketball team's 5-9 all-time record there, the Vols football program also has struggled in that venue.
- The Vols own a 3-6 gridiron record at the Dome. The football program had lost six straight at the Dome from 2001-09 before winning in its most recent appearance, a 35-21 victory over NC State in the 2012 Chick-fil-A Kickoff (Aug. 31, 2012).
- The Lady Vols basketball program owns a .500 record at the Georgia Dome, splitting its only two appearances there.
- Tennessee is 12-14 (.462) all-time in domes.
- The Vols are 6-3 in the Superdome, 5-9 in the Georgia Dome, 1-1 in the Edward Jones Dome and 0-1 in the Alamodome.
- Dr. Ed Wiener (pronounced: WEE-nuhr) will be UT's representative among the former greats from all 14 SEC member institutions who will be honored as the 2014 Allstate® SEC Basketball Legends this week at the SEC Tournament.
- Wiener will be recognized at midcourt during a timeout in Tennessee's game Friday.
- A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Wiener was a standout forward for the Volunteers under head coach Emmett Lowery from 1952-55. He led Tennessee in both scoring and rebounding as a sophomore in 1953 and then earned consecutive All-American honors from Converse in 1954 and 1955.
- In 73 career games as a Vol, he averaged 16.6 points per game. He was just the third Vol ever to reach the 1,000-point milestone.
- He was selected by the Philadelphia Warriors in the fourth round of the 1955 NBA Draft.
- Tennessee's last three wins have come by a combined total of 93 points.
- The three-game margin of victory is UT's largest in three consecutive SEC games since Feb. 1965, when Lyndon B. Johnson was the President of the United States.
- Tennessee beat Florida 75-43 on Feb. 1, 1965, downed Mississippi State 77-57 on Feb. 6, 1965, and then defeated Ole Miss, 96-50 in Oxford on Feb. 8, 1965.
Complete Game Notes