March 14, 2014
- Saturday's game marks Cuonzo Martin's 100th game as Tennessee's head coach (60-39).
- The Vols have not won the SEC Tournament since 1979 in Birmingham, Ala. Current Vol Network radio analyst Bert Bertelkamp was a member of that team. Cuonzo Martin was 8-years-old.
- On 11 separate occasions, an unranked Tennessee team has beaten a Florida squad ranked in the Associated Press top 25.
- And on eight occasions, the Vols have beaten a Florida team that was ranked in the Associated Press top 10 (most recently Feb. 26, 2013).
- The Vols are 4-3 vs. Florida in SEC Tournament matchups, but UT hasn't beaten the Gators in the tourney since 1984 (three straight losses).
- This is the 14th time the SEC Tournament has been held in Atlanta and the 11th time it has been played at the Georgia Dome. UT owns a 6-9 (.400) all-time record in the Georgia Dome, with all those contests taking place in the SEC Tournament.
- Cuonzo Martin is 5-5 in conference tournaments as a head coach (three MVC Tournaments and three SEC Tournaments).
- Tennessee has not trailed in its last five games (200 total minutes).
- During Tennessee's five-game win streak, the Vols own a +17.2 first-half scoring margin (37.0 to 19.8).
- Tennessee battled to the end, but suffered a 67-58 loss to No. 3 Florida Feb. 11 in Knoxville as the Gators extended their winning streak to 16 games.
- The Vols were within one point with less than four minutes to go, but Florida knocked down a pair of 3-pointers, which proved to be the final blow to the Vols' upset hopes.
- Those two late 3-pointers were nailed by the Gators' top two scorers in the game, Scottie Wilbekin (21 points) and Michael Frazier II (11 points).
- Junior Jarnell Stokes had his 14th double-double of the season with 20 points and 11 rebounds. Jordan McRae tallied 17 and Josh Richardson added 13 for the Vols.
- With the game tied at 44 at the 15 minute mark, Florida went on a 9-2 burst and took a 53-46 lead on a spinning layup by Kasey Hill with 10:30 left.
- Tennessee missed five field goals and two free throws before Richardson canned a 3-pointer with 6:15 left to bring UT within two at 53-51. The Vols' defensive effort -- a switch to a 1-3-1 zone -- compensated for the lack of offensive production, as Florida had six consecutive scoreless trips on offense.
- Wilbekin, who started the second half 0-for-6 from the floor knocked down a dagger 3-pointer with 2:24 left in the game for a 61-54 Gators lead.
- Tennessee hit just one basket in the final 4:32.
- Tennessee owns a 4-10 record against the top-ranked team in the AP poll, and the Vols have won two of their last three meetings against the nation's No. 1 team.
- The Vols won at Memphis in 2008 and beat Kansas in Knoxville in 2010. UT's most recent clash with the AP's top-ranked team was a 69-44 loss at eventual national champion Kentucky Jan. 31, 2012.
- UT is 4-3 in its last seven games against the AP's top-ranked team. That dates to March 5, 1996.
- Florida head coach Billy Donovan won a pair of national championships and has won 73 percent of his games in 18 seasons with the Gators.
- Tennessee however, owns a .500 record against Donovan's Gators teams, as he is 18-18 against the Volunteers.
- 13 of Tennessee's 21 wins this season (62 percent) have been wire-to-wire victories in which the Vols never trailed.
- That equates to 520 minutes of basketball.
- Each of UT's last five games have been wire-to-wire wins, meaning that the Vols have not trailed in their last 200 minutes of action.
Complete Game Notes