- The Vols and Hawkeyes are vying for the Midwest Region's No. 11 seed. The winner advances to Raleigh, N.C., to face No. 6 seed UMass Friday at 2:45 p.m. ET.
- The Vols played nine games against teams comprising the field of 68, going 2-7 in those contests. The wins came against Xavier and ACC Champion Virginia (the East No. 1 seed), and UT's margin of victory in those victories was +22.5.
- Tennessee won its only previous game against a Fran McCaffery-coached team, and that contest also was played at a neutral site. The 12th-ranked Vols defeated Siena 78-64 at the Old Spice Classic Nov. 27, 2008, in Orlando, Fla.
- Nine Hawkeyes average at least 15.0 minutes per game. Tennessee has just five active players who average at least 15.0 minutes. And five Vols play more than 25.0 mpg, as opposed to only two for Iowa.
- Cuonzo Martin and UT associate head coach Tracy Webster both played in the Big Ten, suiting up for Purdue and Wisconsin, respectively, in the 1990s.
- CBSSports.com rates Tennessee's strength-of-schedule as No. 20 in the nation.
- Tennessee has won five of its last six games and has held its last four opponents to an average of just 47.4 points per game.
- Tennessee junior forward Jarnell Stokes was named to the SEC All-Tournament Team Sunday.
- UT will wear its traditional home whites Wednesday against Iowa.
- Sixth-ranked Tennessee used a pair of big runs to outdistance 23rd-ranked Iowa in the semifinals of the Rainbow Classic in Honolulu, Hawaii, Dec. 29, 2000.
- Iowa jumped out to a 6-0 lead on three baskets by Reggie Evans (19 points, 10 rebounds). The Hawkeyes built a 17-9 lead.
- The Vols then went on a 24-5 run to take a 33-22 lead into halftime.
- Tony Harris (20 points, seven assists) keyed another UT run, opening the second half with a pair of 3-pointers as the Vols used an 11-0 run to take a commanding 44-22 lead.
- Brody Boyd drilled four 3-pointers to bring Iowa to within five points, 58-53, with under six minutes remaining, but the Hawkeyes got no closer.
- Tennessee hit 12 of 15 free throws down the stretch. The Vols went on to defeat Hawaii in the championship game (69-58).
- Jerry Green was UT's head coach, and Steve Alford was the head coach for Iowa.
- Be the Vols' first NCAA Tournament win since 2010.
- Be Cuonzo Martin's first NCAA Tournament win as a head coach.
- Make Cuonzo Martin just the fourth Tennessee coach to win an NCAA Tournament game (joining Don DeVoe, Jerry Green and Bruce Pearl).
- Give the Vols their first NCAA Tournament victory in Dayton in three tries (lost in 2001 and 2009).
- The Vols are making their 20th all-time appearance in the NCAA Tournament. The Big Orange own a 16-20 (.444) NCAA Tournament record.
- The Vols are 10-7 in first-round games, 5-6 in second-round games, 1-5 in regional semifinals, 0-1 in regional finals and 0-1 in the now-defunct regional consolation round.
- This is the program's seventh NCAA berth in the last nine years and its first under third-year head coach Cuonzo Martin.
- Tennessee's 20 NCAA Tournament berths tie LSU for fourth-most among SEC teams.
- In the last 10 years (2004-2013), among SEC programs, only Florida (22) and Kentucky (19) have won more NCAA Tournament games than Tennessee (8).
- Tennessee is vying to earn the Midwest Region's No. 11 seed.
- The Vols have never previously competed as an 11 seed in their 19 previous NCAA appearances.
- Only three players on Tennessee's 15-man roster have ever been on an NCAA Tournament team, and just one of them has played meaningful minutes in the Big Dance.
- Seniors Jeronne Maymon and Jordan McRae played one and two minutes, respectively, at the end of UT's 2011 NCAA Tournament loss vs. Michigan. Neither scored.
- Senior transfer Antonio Barton went to three NCAA Tournaments during his three seasons at Memphis (2011, 2012, 2013), and he appeared in three of the four tournament games the Tigers played. In those three contests, Barton averaged 5.7 points in 14.3 minutes. He shot 6-for-11 and made three 3-pointers during a 17-point NCAA performance vs. Arizona as a freshman in 2011.
Complete Game Notes