March 20, 2014
- The 11th-seeded Vols defeated Iowa Wednesday in a first-round clash and now face the Midwest Region's No. 6 seed, UMass, Friday at 2:45 p.m. ET.
- The Vols overcame a 12-point deficit to beat the Hawkeyes in overtime.
- Tennessee has won six of its last seven games, with the lone loss coming against No. 1 Florida.
- UT's scoring defense the last six games is 50.3 ppg.
- The Vols played nine games against teams comprising the field of 68, going 2-7 in those contests. The wins came against Xavier and ACC Champion Virginia (the East No. 1 seed), and UT's margin of victory in those victories was +22.5.
- Tennessee defeated UMass 83-69 last season at the Puerto Rico Tipoff. Jarnell Stokes scored a career-high 24 points in the victory, going 7-for-12 from the field and 10-for-17 at the foul line. He also pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds.
- The Vols swept a home-and-home series with UMass in 2003 and 2004. Current Indiana Pacers guard C.J. Watson totaled 20 points and 11 assists for UT in the two wins.
- Derek Kellogg is in his sixth year leading his alma mater. The 1995 UMass graduate returned for his first head coaching job after serving as an assistant coach for 12 years, the last eight at Memphis under former UMass head coach John Calipari.
- Vols junior Rawane "Pops" Ndiaye considers Raleigh his hometown, as his family lives there and he attended prep school at Raleigh's Body of Christ Academy.
- UT will wear its road orange uniforms Friday.
- Thanks to a career-high 24 points from Jarnell Stokes (still his career-high), Tennessee captured third place in the Puerto Rico Tipoff with an 83-69 win over UMass Nov. 18, 2012. The Vols used a late surge to plow past the Minutemen.
- Stokes, an All-Tournament Team selection, added a game-high 12 rebounds as the Vols ripped down 51 boards for a +14 margin on the glass.
- Jordan McRae netted 12 points off the bench while Trae Golden, Skylar McBee and Josh Richardson each scored 11 for the Vols.
- After falling behind momentarily, the Vols went on a 17-2 run as Stokes scored six points in the spurt to make it 61-54 UT with seven minutes left. A McRae dunk had tied the game at 52, then his 3-pointer put the Vols ahead 57-54 with 8:15 left.
- The Vols made eight of 10 free throws in the final 2:11 to ice the win.
- UMass was led by Jesse Morgan, who had 18 and Chaz Williams, who had 16 points, eight rebounds and eight assists.
- Tennessee owns a 1-1 record against current members of the Atlantic 10 Conference in NCAA Tournament play.
- UT's first-ever NCAA appearance was a loss to Dayton in 1967. And the Vols defeated VCU in 1981 in Charlotte, N.C.
- Tennessee is 4-7 in eight previous NCAA Tournament trips to the state of North Carolina. The Vols are 2-4 in tournament games in Charlotte (1976, 1981, 1999, 2008, 2011) and 2-3 in Greensboro (1980, 1989, 2006).
Complete Game Notes