March 21, 2014
- The 11th-seeded Vols defeated Iowa Wednesday in a "First Four" clash in Dayton before toppling 6th-seeded UMass Friday in Raleigh.
- Tennessee has won seven of its last eight games, with the lone loss coming against No. 1 Florida.
- UT's scoring defense the last seven games is 52.7 ppg.
- Now with 23 victories on the year, Tennessee has won at least 23 games for just the fifth time in program history.
- The Vols played nine games against teams comprising the field of 68, going 2-7 in those contests. The wins came against Xavier and ACC Champion Virginia (the East No. 1 seed), and UT's margin of victory in those wins was +22.5.
- Mercer ended Tennessee's season last year, defeating the Vols 75-67 in the first round of the NIT in Knoxville March 20, 2013.
- Located in Macon, Ga., Mercer has an enrollment of 8,200 and competes in the Atlantic Sun Conference. This year, the Bears shared the regular-season A-Sun Championship with a 14-4 league record. Mercer won its league tournament.
- Vols junior Jarnell Stokes had a career-high 26 points Friday vs. UMass and tied UT's NCAA Tournament record for rebounding with 14.
- Vols junior Rawane "Pops" Ndiaye considers Raleigh his hometown, as his family lives there and he attended prep school at Raleigh's Body of Christ Academy.
- Tennessee's 2012-13 season came to an end March 20, 2013, as the second-seeded Vols lost to seventh-seeded Mercer, 75-67, in the first round of the NIT at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville. The Vols finished the season 20-13.
- Jarnell Stokes posted his 16th double-double of the season with 14 points and 13 rebounds. Stokes' 12 offensive rebounds vs. Mercer were the most by a Vol since the stat has been tracked.
- Trae Golden (who has since transferred to Georgia Tech) scored a team-high 20 points.
- Mercer used a 10-1 run to end the first half to take a 34-28 lead into halftime. Bears center Daniel Coursey and guard Travis Smith each tallied 10 points in the first half to lead all scorers.
- Coursey caused major issues for the Vols in the first half. He made his first five shots from the floor and gave Mercer a 22-18 lead with nine minutes left in the half.
- Down by nine, 50-41, with 11:44 left in the game, the Vols cut the deficit to four, scoring five consecutive points. After a Golden free throw pulled UT within four, 50-46, the Bears scored the next six points to take a 56-46 lead with 6:50 left in regulation. That was the first double-figure lead of the game.
- A Jordan McRae 3-pointer with 1:24 left in regulation, cut the Bears' lead to 67-61. But, Mercer made 10-of-12 free throws in the final 1:37 to seal the game.
- Mercer was led by Smith, who tallied 25. Coursey was a perfect 7-of-7 from the floor for 15 points before fouling out. Langston Hall (16) and Jakob Gallon (12) also scored in double-figures.
Complete Game Notes