March 25, 2014
- This is Tennessee's seventh all-time Sweet Sixteen appearance and its fourth in eight seasons (1967, 1981, 2000, 2007, 2008, 2010).
- Tennessee defeated Iowa, UMass and Mercer in a span of five days to reach the Sweet Sixteen.
- This season marks just the second time UT has won three NCAA Tournament games (also did it in 2010).
- UT's scoring defense the last eight games is 54.0 ppg.
- Tennessee's overall scoring defense this season stands at 61.4 ppg.
- Through three NCAA Tournament games, the Vols are shooting .828 at the foul line (72-of-87).
- UT is shooting .491 as a team through three NCAA Tournament games while boasting a +17.3 scoring margin and a +11.0 rebounding margin.
- Tennessee has won eight of its last nine games, with the lone loss coming against No. 1 Florida.
- Vols junior Jarnell Stokes is averaging 20.3 points and 15.0 rebounds during the tournament.
- Jarnell Stokes is tied (with Kentucky's Julius Randle) for the Division I lead in double-doubles with 22. That ties Bernard King's Tennessee single-season record set in 1976-77.
- Vols junior Josh Richardson scored a career-high 26 points in UT's third-round win over Mercer. He is averaging 19.3 points in the tournament.
- Tennessee has won at least 24 games just the five times in program history. The other seasons of 24 or more wins: 2000 (26), 2007 (24), 2008 (31), 2010 (28).
- Friday is the third anniversary of Cuonzo Martin being introduced as Tennessee's 18th head coach (March 28, 2011).
- Tennessee owns an 18-29 all-time record against current members of the Big Ten Conference, that includes a 2-4 in NCAA Tournament play. Cuonzo Martin has a 1-0 head coaching record vs. Big Ten teams (UT beat Iowa in the First Four).
- Cuonzo Martin is good friends with Glenn Robinson III's father, Glenn Robinson, as the two were teammates and roommates for three years at Purdue (1991-94).
- During his college playing career as a Boilermaker (1991-95), Martin was 3-5 against Michigan. He played in the same era as UM's "Fab Five," and he regularly guarded Jalen Rose.
- When Martin played for the Grand Rapids Hoops of the CBA, he was teammates with former UM players Ray Jackson and Mark Hughes.
- Vols associate head coach Tracy Webster went 2-4 against Michigan during his collegiate playing career at Wisconsin (1992-94). He was typically matched up with Jalen Rose and Jimmy King.
- During UT assistant coach Jon Harris' five-year stint as an assistant at Wisconsin-Green Bay (2003-08), he coached and recruited against Bacari Alexander (Detroit) and LaVall Jordan (Butler) during their time on staff in the Horizon League.
- Vols senior Jordan McRae and Michigan sophomores Mitch McGary (injured) and Glenn Robinson III all participated in the LeBron James Skills Academy last summer in Las Vegas, Nev. McRae and Robinson III both also attended the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy in Washington, D.C.
- During his sophomore season at Memphis, Vols senior Antonio Barton had five points and two assists vs. Michigan in a 73-61 loss at the 2011 Maui Invitational. UT was also in that Maui field.
- As a true freshman at Marquette, Vols senior Jeronne Maymon scored two points in a 79-65 win over Michigan at the Old Spice Classic.
- Second-year Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones is a native of Saugatuck, Mich. He played football at Ferris State (Big Rapids, Mich.) from 1987-89 and was the head coach at Central Michigan (Mount Pleasant, Mich.) from 2007-09.
- Tennessee is the third "First Four" participant ever to advance to the Sweet Sixteen, joining 2011 VCU and 2013 LaSalle.
- Introduced in 2011, the "First Four" is four games between the lowest four at-large teams and the lowest four automatic bid (conference champion) teams.
- That 2011 VCU squad advanced all the way to the Final Four before falling to Butler, 70-62.
- Vols head coach Cuonzo Martin has several Indianapolis connections, as he lived in "The Circle City" from 1995-2000 and again from 2004-08.
- Martin's wife, Roberta, worked for the city's largest employer, Eli Lilly, for 13 years.
- Martin's oldest son, Josh (16), was born in Indianapolis, as was his daughter, Addison (6).
- When a Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosis ended Martin's pro basketball career in November 1997, he returned to Indy and underwent cancer treatments there. He received his last treatment on April 20, 1998, and is now in full remission.
- The Martins have many friends and family members who reside in Indianapolis.
- Vols freshman A.J. Davis was born in Indianapolis. His father, Antonio Davis, played six seasons with the NBA's Indiana Pacers (1993-99).
Complete Game Notes