TENNESSEE vs. FLORIDA SOUTHERN
Nov. 2, 2013 | 1 p.m. ET
Thompson-Boling Arena | Knoxville, Tenn.
NOTING THE MOCS
- Located in Lakeland, Fla., Florida Southern College has an enrollment of 2,185 and competes in the NCAA Division II Sunshine State Conference. Last season, the Moccasins posted a 27-6 overall record, tied for first place in the SSC with a 12-4 mark in league play and were ranked eighth in the year-end NABC Division II national poll.
- Veteran head coach Linc Darner, who is entering his eighth season at FSC, has led the Mocs to six consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, including an Elite Eight berth last year.
- The Mocs return seven lettermen and three starters from last year's squad, and they open 2013-14 exhibition play Friday at Florida.
- Florida Southern averaged 84.9 ppg last season (7th in DII) and outscored their opponents by 10.4 ppg. The Mocs also led all of Division II with an impressive +6.8 turnover margin.
- Returning guards Kevin Capers and Dominic Lane were Florida Southern's second- and third-leading scorers last season, as each averaged 13.4 ppg. Lane led the Mocs in rebounding with 5.9 rpg.
MARTIN, DARNER OLD TEAMMATES
- Beginning with the 1991-92 season, Cuonzo Martin (then a freshman) and Linc Darner (then a sophomore) were teammates at Purdue for three straight years.
- During those three seasons, Martin and Darner led the Boilermakers to a 65-30 overall record, one Big Ten Championship (1994) and a pair of NCAA Tournament Appearances (1993, 1994).
- Under the direction of Hall of Fame head coach Gene Keady, No. 1-seeded Purdue reached the Elite Eight in 1994 and finished 29-5 overall.
Complete Game Notes