TENNESSEE vs. CARSON-NEWMAN
November 3, 2011 | 7:00 p.m. ET
Thompson-Boling Arena | Knoxville
VOLS OPEN EXHIBITION SEASON
- Tennessee is preparing to embark on its 103rd season of varsity basketball and its first under head coach Cuonzo Martin (pronounced KAHN-zo).
- The Volunteers are 62-18 all-time in exhibition games, including an 11-1 record in Thompson- Boling Arena.
- Carson-Newman College is a private, liberal arts institution and NCAA Division II member located approximately 25 miles east of Knoxville in Jefferson City, Tenn. The Eagles compete in the South Atlantic Conference. Former Vol Shane Williams is on the Eagles' coaching staff.
- The Eagles' roster features five East Tennessee natives: Junior forward Odell Parker (Knoxville; Bearden HS), junior forward Collin Crane (Knoxville; Karns HS), Sophomore guard Ishmael Sanders (Cleveland; Cleveland HS), sophomore guard Tyler Smith (Andersonville; Anderson County HS) and freshman center Julian McBee (Knoxville; Central HS).
- Houston Fancher, Tennessee's director of basketball operations, grew up with Carson- Newman head coach Chuck Benson in Newport, Tenn., and both graduated from Cocke County High School (Fancher in 1984, Benson in 1987).
- Carson-Newman assistant coach Josh Ealy worked as a graduate assistant for one season (2007- 08) and an assistant coach for one season (2008-09) at Appalachian State during Houston Fancher's tenure as head coach of the Mountaineers.
- The Vols' roster features five returning lettermen and five scholarship newcomers. Senior guard Cameron Tatum is Tennessee's lone returning starter.
- This is Tennessee's 25th season of basketball in Thompson-Boling Arena. Over the previous 24 years, the riverfront facility has hosted more than 6.2 million fans for men's basketball games, and the Volunteers have posted a 280-100 (.737) home record.
The Carson-Newman Series
- Tennessee leads the all-time series with Carson- Newman 11-4, dating to 1908 ... The two most recent meetings were exhibition games early in the 2004-05 and 2005-06 seasons (both UT wins) ... The Eagles won the first-ever meeting between the programs, capturing a 29-21 victory in Jefferson City, Tenn., on Jan. 28, 1908 ... Carson-Newman later reeled off three straight wins in the series between 1926-27 ... The Vols posted a 37-18 victory in the last regular-season meeting between the schools (Dec. 12, 1936, in Knoxville).
Thompson-Boling Arena Turns 25-Years-Old
- The 2011-12 campaign marks Tennessee's 25th season of basketball in Thompson-Boling Arena ... To commemorate the anniversary, the Volunteers have highlighted great moments in TBA history on this year's tickets ... Promotions during Tennessee home games also will look back on some of the great players and plays in the facility's history ... The Vols are 280-100 (.737) all-time in Thompson- Boling Arena, and the venue has hosted 71 UT men's basketball games for which the attendance exceeded 20,000 ... In total, TBA has hosted more than 6.2 million fans for UT men's games.
Tennessee Roster Breakdown
- The Volunteers 2011-12 roster features 17 players (12 scholarship student-athletes) representing three nations and eight states ... Five Vols hail from the state of Tennessee, while four are from Georgia ... Tennessee has two seniors, five juniors, four sophomores and six freshmen ... The roster includes 11 guards, five forwards and one center ... Nine Vols stand 6-5 or shorter, and eight players are 6-6 or taller.