Nov. 5, 2013
- Last Saturday, Jarnell Stokes (27 points, 10 rebs), Jordan McRae (21 pts, 9 rebs), and Robert Hubbs III (17 pts) powered the Vols past Division II Florida Southern 105-80 in Knoxville.
- Located in Evansville, Ind., Southern Indiana University has an enrollment of 9,902 and competes in the NCAA Division II Great Lakes Valley Conference. Last season, the Screaming Eagles posted a 23-8 overall record, finished second in the GLVC race with a 13-5 mark in league play and were ranked 15th in the year-end NABC Division II national poll.
- Head coach Rodney Watson is entering his fifth season at USI; he led the Eagles to the Division II Midwest Regional semifinals last year.
- The Eagles return 10 lettermen and three starters from last year's squad, and they opened exhibition play with an 83-68 loss at Indiana Oct. 26.
- Forward Aaron Nelson was USI's top scorer at Indiana, totaling 14 points on 7-of-15 shooting. Taylor Wischmeier posted a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes, and Austin Davis added 11 points.
- The Eagles made eight 3-pointers against the Hoosiers, including three from Davis. USI also logged 11 steals in that contest.
- Fifth-year Southern Indiana head coach Rodney Watson spent 21 seasons as an assistant (and later, associate head) coach at Southern Illinois before relocating to Evansville.
- Watson's time on staff as SIU overlapped with the playing career of current UT assistant coach Kent Williams, who is SIU's second all-time leading scorer with 2,012 points from 2000-03.
- Watson worked for the following head coaches at SIU: Rich Herrin, Bruce Weber, Matt Painter and Chris Lowery.
Complete Game Notes