Nov. 10, 2013
- The Vols have won 14 straight season-openers.
- This is the first time the Vols open regular-season play on the road since the 2004-05 opener against Stanford at the Maui Invitational. Tennessee won that clash 69-57 (Nov. 22, 2004).
- The Vols own an 8-15 all-time record in the state of Ohio. Tennessee's last appearance in Ohio came in Dayton at the 2009 NCAA Tournament (first-round loss to Oklahoma State). The Vols' last regular-season appearance in Ohio was a 68-66 loss at fifth-ranked Ohio State on Jan. 13, 2007.
- Dating to last season, the Vols have won four of their last five regular-season true road games.
- Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, Xavier (pronounced: zay-vee-ər) is a co-educational Jesuit, Catholic university. The Musketeers were picked to finish seventh in the new, 10-team Big East.
- The Musketeers opened their regular season with an 83-59 home win over Gardner-Webb Friday.
- Xavier head coach Chris Mack was a two-time team captain as a player at Xavier under then-head coach Pete Gillen. He has coached under Sean Miller and the late Skip Prosser.
- Xavier sophomore Semaj Christon is projected by NBAdraft.net as the No. 11 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft (to the Knicks). He is a preseason first-team All-Big East pick, and he also appears on the Bob Cousy Award watch list.
- The Vols received major contributions from unlikely sources as Tennessee rallied to knock off Xavier, 51-47, in front of 18,504 fans at Thompson-Boling Arena Dec. 29, 2012.
- Xavier had 19 turnovers, the most Tennessee has forced under head coach Cuonzo Martin.
- In his college debut, Derek Reese made a major impact with seven points, including the go-ahead basket midway through the second half to give the Vols a lead they would never relinquish.
- The Tennessee bench outscored Xavier's 21-9. The Vols limited the Musketeers to 32.7 shooting from the floor, including just one 3-pointer.
- The Vols' scoring was led by Josh Richardson, who had a then-career-high-tying 12 points. Jordan McRae added eight points.
- The Vols held Xavier scoreless for 6:01 in the second half.
- After redshirting all of last season due to a knee injury, All-SEC forward Jeronne Maymon returns to action this season.
- Tennessee's team MVP in 2011-12, Maymon led the Vols in scoring (14.2 ppg) and rebounding (7.9 rpg) in SEC play as a junior.
- He scored at least 12 points in every SEC game and also led the league in free-throw attempts during the regular season (184).
- Maymon's absence last season allowed teams to double-team power forward Jarnell Stokes.
- Give Tennessee a 15-game win streak in season-opening games.
- Give the Vols a 27-21 all-time record against current members of the Big East Conference.
- Give Cuonzo Martin an 8-4 head coaching record against current members of the Big East Conference, including wins in eight of his last nine tries.
Complete Game Notes