Nov. 13, 2012
TENNESSEE VS. UNC ASHEVILLE
Nov. 17, 2012 | 12:30 p.m. ET
Coliseo Rodriquez | Bayamon, Puerto Rico
PUERTO RICO TIPOFF: GAME 1
- The Vols have twice appeared in holiday tournaments in Puerto Rico and own a 3-3 record there.
- Tennessee went 2-1 at the 1999 Puerto Rico Holiday Classic, defeating American-Puerto Rico and Southern Illinois before falling to Tulsa in the title game. The Vols posted a 1-2 record at the 1991 San Juan Shootout, with a win over American-Puerto Rico followed by losses to TCU and Miami (Fla).
- After winning back-to-back Big South championships, UNC Asheville graduated six seniors and returns just one starter from last year's 24-10 (16-2 Big South) team.
- The Bulldogs ranked fifth in the nation in scoring last season with 80.7 ppg.
- Swingman Jeremy Atkinson is the Bulldogs' top returning scorer and rebounder (11.7 ppg, 6.6 rpg).
- 6-10 junior D.J. Cunningham and 7-0 sophomore Jaleel Roberts give Asheville two imposing low-post players. Cunningham sat out last season with a knee injury but is now a starter.
- Tennessee is 24-4 all-time against current members of the Big South Conference.